Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
i replaced my main relay recently and no problems as of yet lol but when i took out the old one...it was a siemens brand relay (wtf?) and the new one that i replaced it with was a mitsu something but it was much bigger, height wise, then the siemens one.

did you guys have a siemens relay as well?

pattywak

Reaction score
I haven't replaced the maine relay, and the car has done this same thing 4 times in the last couple of days...I need to find out what this main relay is and see how hard it would be to replace it.

yeding

Reaction score
i'm pretty sure it's the main relay. for ur car, it should be under the dash board(driver side). get under nearth, follow the brake pedal, look at the up-left side, looking for a gray box, that's ur main relay. next time, if the problem happen again, put the key to ON, and listen for a click sound right after the CLE turns off. if u cant hear a click, main relay is the way to go.

to tnguyen:
98-02 Honda Accord 39400-S84-A01 or 39400-S84-003 RZ-0159* / RZ-0158**
RZ-0159=VRM-0022(VRM-0022 is the SIEMENS part number and they are the samething) I didnt notice size different though, mine seems at same size

olivesomra

Reaction score
im having this same exact problem. -.-'''....

is there any detailed instructions on removing the main relay?

thanks in advance for the help.

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
Hey don't know if you guys know this or not but there is a recall that was released back in 2004 for the ignition switch. The problem was that high current was ruining the contacts on the switch causing some syptoms that sound like yours. I just got mine replaced the other day for free from Honda since it was a recall.

I have acess to alldata (to show you the customer letter) but I don't know how I can insert the the letter into a post. Any ideas? It's a gif file

Back