Car appears to want to shut off when I brake...

BatMan

Reaction score
Ok so I let my gas tank run as low as 1/8th left and my RPM's were at 500 and it felt like the car wanted to shut off, I'm assuming this isn't normal, so I put it into neutral and kept my foot gently on the gas pedal until I got some more gas, after that my RPM was still low...a bit above 500. wtf.

BatMan

Reaction score
Starter has NOTHING to do with your car when it's running. Investigate around your throttle body and or your gas cap. Take it off and listen for the sound of negative pressure being relieved once you open your cap.
While it is on or off? When I fill up my gas tank and I remove the gas cap I hear like a hissing or pressure coming out, like if I just opened a canister or something...is that negative pressure being relieved?

Thanks.

Drift

Reaction score
Your EGR valve could be stuck open. Does it sound like the car is running on 3 cylinders right before it happens?

BatMan

Reaction score
Your EGR valve could be stuck open. Does it sound like the car is running on 3 cylinders right before it happens?
To be honest with you I have no idea what that would sound like PLUS I can't hear out of my right ear and my left ear drum is damaged as well so I only have about 60% hearing in that ear /:

BatMan

Reaction score
Is the car trying to surge forward?? Could be a problem with the tranny if it is.

Nope. It just sort of bounces up and down, sputtering, under idles and feels like it wants to turn off but I just step on the gas really quick and it comes back to normal.

BatMan

Reaction score
Oh and last night for some reason my car turned off on me.

I was stopped at a light for about 15 seconds, it didn't do the under idling thing, it was fine, and it just turned off on me...?_?

BatMan

Reaction score
Isn't this just great...my car TURNED OFF on me while driving this time...I was getting on the freeway and it turned off...

Back