Recommended Oil

jwong512

Reaction score
Oil wise, I'm not too sure. You'll get many mixed opinions so in the end, it's really your choice. But filter wise, Honda OEM ones are probably the best around for the price.

Lxcord

Banned
Reaction score
the OEM oil filters are crap, they are basically rebadged fram filters.

Honda used to have filtech filters, but they are discontinued.

I suggest Purelator Pure 1 filter, Bosch , or the Mobil 1 EP filter.

As for the oil I suggest Valvoline

juicebox00

Reaction score
Napa filters are also crap. i used one and it leaked like crazy. next oil change i used a fram filter and i've had no problem at all

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
the OEM oil filters are crap, they are basically rebadged fram filters.

Honda used to have filtech filters, but they are discontinued.

I suggest Purelator Pure 1 filter, Bosch , or the Mobil 1 EP filter.

As for the oil I suggest Valvoline

Your funny dude, have you seen the difference of how a fram and honda filter look inside? Just because fram manufactures them, doesnt mean they dont go by honda's quality guidelines. Ive been using genuine for my honda since my car had 20k with no issues thus far at 113k.

Its common sense, honda builds the best 4 cylinders in the world, they use mobile 1 oil as their genuine honda oil, but they pair it with a fram filter?? :eh: ok..

And BTW, I have been using fram filters in my other two cars. My nissan with almost 300,000 miles has always had fram filters in the last 8 years. My toyota avalon has always had fram filters in the last 4 years.
In fact, all my cars run perfect because im keen on changing my oil every 2,500-3,000 miles.

I admit, they arent the best filter in the world, they dont have a long life span, but they do their job within the recommend mileage and do just fine as long as u change ur oil when your supposed to.

Id like to know why u think honda filters are so crappy and why fram filters are harmful to engines.

Last edited:

cajun

Reaction score
Agree with dorkie - check out bobistheoilguy.com.

IMHO...the OEM filters aren't crap, but there are cheaper/better alternatives. These are as good or probably better than the OEM - Purolator Pure 1 and Premium Plus, Bosch, Mobil 1 EP filter, NAPA Gold and Wix. The Puro Premium Plus may be the best value. It's rated well and goes for ~$3 at Advance.

For oil it's hard to beat Motorcraft synth blend. It's rated well and is only $12 for 5 qts at Walmart.

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did my oil change yesterday.

Oil Filter: Purolator PL14459 PureONE Oil Filter (Pack of 2) $9.48 @ Amazon ( it was out of stock when I placed the order. I took about 8 days for amazon to fulfill the order )
$4.00 rebate

Free 3 months trial of Amazon Prime: here. Great to have for Xmas holiday shopping. PM me, if you have problem with getting free trial.

Oil: Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic on sale for $20 for 5quart jug @ Walmart
$15 rebate

Like others, I would recommend OP to take some time and head over to Bobistheoilguy forum and decide for yourself which oil and filter best fits your needs.

Non-FRAM OEM Honda Filter: part# 15400-PLM-A01
FRAM rebrand OEM Honda Filter: part# 15400-PLM-A02

reference
opinions

Last edited:

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
Just did my oil change yesterday.

Oil Filter: Purolator PL14459 PureONE Oil Filter (Pack of 2) $9.48 @ Amazon ( it was out of stock when I placed the order. I took about 8 days for amazon to fulfill the order )
$4.00 rebate

Free 3 months trial of Amazon Prime: here. Great to have for Xmas holiday shopping. PM me, if you have problem with getting free trial.

Oil: Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic on sale for $20 for 5quart jug @ Walmart
$15 rebate
PP and pureOne is a great choice.

turbo_911

Reaction score
OEM oil filter ARE FRAM filters.... inside its a Fram filter with a Honda cap.

I used to use Mobil 1 and then switched to K&N oil filter :)

Back