Holy expensive? Timing Belt Quote

Griffeycom

Reaction score
Off topic... but is there anyway that you can tell if the timing belt has been changed if I take it to a shop or somewhere?

I think it depends, however I don't think it's standard procedure for Honda to mark them, unlike Toyota who typically marks the timing belt cover with a change date. If you know the dealership that it was serviced at most you can ask them to look at their records.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I think it depends, however I don't think it's standard procedure for Honda to mark them, unlike Toyota who typically marks the timing belt cover with a change date. If you know the dealership that it was serviced at most you can ask them to look at their records.

All cars are supposed to have a sticker on the timing cover with the date and miles it was replaced.

TUBHMOOBVAJ

Reaction score
I just had my timing belt, seals, water pump and all the associated belts changed for $503.

What I would recommend is open you valve cover and take a peek at your timing belt, if there isn't any cracks on it then it should be good for another year or so.

finch13

Reaction score
^ Did they use Honda parts?

Unfortunately, with timing belts, a visual inspection doesn't mean ****. They're made out of EPDM rubber, which has a long service life, but the nylon inside the belts can fray and start pulling apart and rubber certainly isn't going to hold that much tension by itself.

7 years or 105,000 miles.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I just had my timing belt, seals, water pump and all the associated belts changed for $503.

What I would recommend is open you valve cover and take a peek at your timing belt, if there isn't any cracks on it then it should be good for another year or so.

I almost want to report you for mis-leading information, next time you suggest something, make sure you have re-searched about it or KNOW what your talking about.

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
rip off period. parts will probably just cost them 200 and they are making 800 off you :ughrun:

finch13

Reaction score
Lol what?

The cheapest I can get timing belt parts is $150 from Napa and $250-275 from the dealer. $800 profit my ***. Ever heard of labor? Shop equipment? Overhead?

Sent from my Nexus One

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Yep. Not nearly as many people are getting ripped off at a dealer like they think they are. The bulk of the cost is in the labor, especially for something as intensive as a timing belt.

The only dealer charge I often find to be too much is the shop materials.

Back