Holy expensive? Timing Belt Quote

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
Lol what?

The cheapest I can get timing belt parts is $150 from Napa and $250-275 from the dealer. $800 profit my ***. Ever heard of labor? Shop equipment? Overhead?

Sent from my Nexus One

i know what you mean.
but basically what i am saying is that they are making way too much for timing belts/ water pump/ seals.
cant blame them though.. it is a Honda Dealer. and they always over charge.

experiences with the accord V6's, timing belt change/ water pump and seals are not that difficult :inouteek:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
thing is...for the people complaining about labor...can you do it yourself? do you know how to do it yourself? do you have all the tools? do you think you can do it faster than book time (6 hours, i believe)? or would you rather waste a whole weekend messing around just to save money?

$100/hr labor...6 hours. or DIY and take 4 times longer and have to take it to a shop to loosen the crank pulley bolt anyway :lawl:

i mean...you go to work for 8 hours...would you be ok with getting paid for the REAL amount of work you do if you slack?

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
thing is...for the people complaining about labor...can you do it yourself? do you know how to do it yourself? do you have all the tools? do you think you can do it faster than book time (6 hours, i believe)? or would you rather waste a whole weekend messing around just to save money?

$100/hr labor...6 hours. or DIY and take 4 times longer and have to take it to a shop to loosen the crank pulley bolt anyway :lawl:

i mean...you go to work for 8 hours...would you be ok with getting paid for the REAL amount of work you do if you slack?

:afro: i am not trying to brag but um. i am actually a mechanic. :D
i have been working on cars for the past 3 years.
my dad is a mechanic also and it is from him where i learned about cars and it was him that got me into cars. :rock:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
If you want to do a timing belt service yourself, you have better dammed know what crank angle is and BTDC.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
:afro: i am not trying to brag but um. i am actually a mechanic. :D
i have been working on cars for the past 3 years.
my dad is a mechanic also and it is from him where i learned about cars and it was him that got me into cars. :rock:
i dont see it as bragging at all.

thing is though...shops have lots of stuff to pay for that a buddy doing it for $200 and some pizza and beer doesn't. dealerships make way more money off service than car sales...and they can charge more for specialized training for their techs. (see the threads on here about evap, airbag, or trans issues where people have to go to the dealership...)

while we're on the subject, i like the local shops that specialize in one make. they're good, cause thats all they work on...and they do it pretty cheap.

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
i dont see it as bragging at all.

thing is though...shops have lots of stuff to pay for that a buddy doing it for $200 and some pizza and beer doesn't. dealerships make way more money off service than car sales...and they can charge more for specialized training for their techs. (see the threads on here about evap, airbag, or trans issues where people have to go to the dealership...)

while we're on the subject, i like the local shops that specialize in one make. they're good, cause thats all they work on...and they do it pretty cheap.

i agree. shops have a lot more responsibilities and alot more things to pay for.
just saying that the amount they charge is wayyyyyy higher than the
amount charged at local shops.

Last edited by a moderator:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
A mechanic/ friend of mine work at Honda and he told me to check otherwise any shop will change it as long as you bring it in.

Good luck with your timing belt! Oh what's stopping you from reporting me? Go on ahead!

I hope you enjoy that little red square under your name....

And I don't care who you know or what they do at honda, you don't check timing belts for wear, you replace them.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Ok.
First and last time I'll say this.
Knock it off with the flaming.
Any more and I'll start handing out vacations to any and all

Last edited:

00Silvy

Reaction score
Wow... didn't know this thread would carry one and have so much good info. NICE.

Well I am slowly putting away the money for the belt.... as I stated, my car is a 2000 v6.... 101k. I'm hoping to get it done before 110k miles...

Back