DIY: How to polish aluminum wheels.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Damn looks good!

If anyone is going to do this on aftermarket wheels be ready to have to start with at least 80 grit to remove the casting marks

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Damn looks good!

If anyone is going to do this on aftermarket wheels be ready to have to start with at least 80 grit to remove the casting marks

Thanks! Haha, didn't you polish your own wheels aswell?

I tried 80 grit in between my spokes, but they were just too bumpy and time consuming to do. I am just going to paint the inner spokes black.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Thanks! Haha, didn't you polish your own wheels aswell?

I tried 80 grit in between my spokes, but they were just too bumpy and time consuming to do. I am just going to paint the inner spokes black.

That's why I abandoned my polishing mission lol. Even after a 80 grit sand the marks were visable at a angle. For your spokes I'd go silver. It'll complement the polish

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
That's why I abandoned my polishing mission lol. Even after a 80 grit sand the marks were visable at a angle. For your spokes I'd go silver. It'll complement the polish

Was thinking that too, but my cousin doesn't paint alot of silver cars.

I was planning to do all the masking myself then leave it on the side for them to primer/paint/clear coat them when they are painting parts. Leftovers ftw!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Dammit now you're making me think about polishing my own lips instead of paying someone to do it.

Awesome work, and awesome information. This always seemed like such a gray area to me, thanks for sharing!

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Dammit now you're making me think about polishing my own lips instead of paying someone to do it.

Awesome work, and awesome information. This always seemed like such a gray area to me, thanks for sharing!

If your lips aren't damaged or bent, do it yourself. Save yourself some money. Since you have your own garage now also that is even better.

For the lips I would also star at 400 grit of they aren't damaged.

slowrider87

Reaction score
Great write up. along the same line as the one i did a couple months back. you did a great job. might i add one more reccomendation. after the 2000 grit finish. Use White diamond Metal polish on the whole thing for a Mirror finish. at least for those who like that extra shine.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Great write up. along the same line as the one i did a couple months back. you did a great job. might i add one more reccomendation. after the 2000 grit finish. Use White diamond Metal polish on the whole thing for a Mirror finish. at least for those who like that extra shine.

You polished your lips right? Does the white diamond metal polish work that well?

Last edited:

Elite1JDM

Reaction score
looks like alot of work! I usually do my own work when i curb rash my wheels, has happened a couple of times! If theres deep scratches on the lips you can also use a big file to file it down then sand. Its a little rougher and gets it out quick. It came out good steven! Rep!!!

Back