DIY: How to polish aluminum wheels.

Nocture

Reaction score
Did you hand buff them or used an electrical buffer?

My cousin uses a lot of the 3m rubbing compound at his shop also. Might have to give that a try.

I used a drill with an attachment and also a polisher. I couldn't imagine how much more exhausting that would be if doing it by hand. Sanding the wheel grit by grit is tiresome enough. I wouldn't polish another wheel ever again, just too much work, even though the wheel looks great.

I even did the back :eek:. Can you tell I have a little ocd? lol
Before
31ba6fb4.jpg

After
071ecb06.jpg

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
I used a drill with an attachment and also a polisher. I couldn't imagine how much more exhausting that would be if doing it by hand. Sanding the wheel grit by grit is tiresome enough. I wouldn't polish another wheel ever again, just too much work, even though the wheel looks great.

I even did the back :eek:. Can you tell I have a little ocd? lol
Before
31ba6fb4.jpg

After
071ecb06.jpg

Damn! Even the back lol. I wouldn't even want to attempt that lol.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Can you do this with the tire still mounted? And will I get the same results with the 01-02 V6 wheels with the machined finish?

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Can you do this with the tire still mounted? And will I get the same results with the 01-02 V6 wheels with the machined finish?

I wouldn't suggest doing it with tires mounted, you'll have to be extra careful with the paint stripper and when you're sanding. I would just wait til you need to need tires or just take them off. Wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good tire.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest doing it with tires mounted, you'll have to be extra careful with the paint stripper and when you're sanding. I would just wait til you need to need tires or just take them off. Wouldn't want to ruin a perfectly good tire.

True, that Airplane stripper is some rough stuff. I used it on a bmx frame and even with chemical resistant gloves it still made my hands burn like hell.

Nocture

Reaction score
I did it with the tires mounted. I didn't use paint stripper chemical. I used the 3M strip wheel (brown, not black). Attached to the drill, taped the tire sidewall, and off I went.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If your lips aren't damaged or bent, do it yourself. Save yourself some money. Since you have your own garage now also that is even better.

For the lips I would also star at 400 grit of they aren't damaged.

Ok thanks. What should I use to get the clearcoat off of them?

Back