Having trouble finding the right "feel" - F&F Type 1

haoleflip

Reaction score
I got my F&F Type 1's a couple of months ago. I know some will say that these weren't the best choice, but a great cheap alternative. Since then I have adjusted them a lot; raised front, lowered back, measure, raised back, lowered front, measure, and so on. and I just can't find the right feel. I know the low life is something to adjust to, and I'm pretty good at taking my time on driveways and steep hills and driving slow, etc. but when it comes to driving on some roads I feel like I am sitting on a trampoline, even while going a bit under the speed limit when no one's around. I know that living in Colorado doesn't help, although I live in the city and never go in the mountains, but there are some brutal streets in the city, too. I probably just answered my question with the last couple sentences, but I just feel like it's not supposed to be this uncomfortable of a ride. On smooth roads it is great of course, but when the bumps come I have to slow down drastically. I always find myself sitting straight up and am paranoid sometimes haha. I also see other Hondas on the road in town and there are a lot of slammed vehicles here for it being Colorado. I watch them and it doesn't seem like they bounce as much as I do. I feel like I'm on airbags in an impala or something lol.

Anyway, I am just wondering if there are any tricks of the trade or something I need to keep an eye on? Where do I need to make my adjustments? I understand the top 2 rings are where preload is adjusted, but the warranty card also says not to adjust preload because it's already preloaded out of the package. This is my first time dumping a car, so I'm still learning all about it. Any help is appreciated!

Akingkhan

Reaction score
The ride is not g2 b like the stock suspension with the ff 1s or any coilovers, with that said u might wanna check the air pressure in the tires? U might just have 2 live w/ it cuz there's really nothing u can do about the spring rate

N it's not some thing that will "break in" over time

If u want close to a stock ride but a lil lower u could get lowering springs like the Eibach sports, pro, or some thing like that sorry :(
I'm sure if u wanted 2 sell them u would b able 2 pretty quick on here :)

Narftastic

Reaction score
I feel as if the faster u go over bumps the less bounce u have that's probably why u see other slamed cars not bouncing, but that I think does more damage to the coil..... I also slow down a lot when it comes down to some bumps....
I guess you'll get used to it after a while... How low are u?got any pictures?

haoleflip

Reaction score
Yeah I felt that faster was smoother, but it just felt bad knowing my shocks were hit pretty hard going that fast lol and everything in my car shakes like an earthquake.

I hate posting pics cuz all of the bodykit haters lol but here goes.....I'm pretty low...

20121224_192358.jpg

20120923_132243-1.jpg

20120923_132201-1.jpg

Last edited:

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Is ur uca hitting the strut tower?
R those 17"s or 18"s?
N what size tire?

haoleflip

Reaction score
Is ur uca hitting the strut tower?
R those 17"s or 18"s?
N what size tire?

The rims are 18x8 and tires are 225/40ZR18 92W
and I'm pretty sure that little 'knocking' noise I hear sometimes when I go over big bumps is my uca hitting the strut tower.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Do u still have ur stock rims/tires? If u do try running those n see how it rides. I'm thinking its the 18"s on 40 series tires.

As far as the uca hitting there's 2 things u can do
Option 1 raise the car up a lol bit so it doesn't hit
Option 2 cut the strut tower

The uca wouldn't b a lil knockin it would feel like ur car is hitting the ground!

Last edited:

haoleflip

Reaction score
Don't trip off haters bro. your car looks clean.

Thanks for the kind words! I don't get it, I get compliments all the time here in town, but when I come on forums like these people are like "ZOMG ur not JDM like the rest of us!!!!1111!1one that makez u a RICER!" :goyou: I'm confused why it's hated on, but it's whatever, in the end it's my car and I like it.

Last edited:
Back