Overheating issue

Ashton

Reaction score
Hey! I drive a 2002 Honda Accord ex v6 and lately have had some over heating issues. It started a week ago when I was waiting in like to get a car wash and my temp gauge was past hot. Soon after when I put the car in drive it started to shake and I thought it was gonna blow up haha. The check engine like started blinking and as soon as I got out, it all went back to normal... Lately I will be driving and when in park while running or sitting at idle, my temp gauge will go up past hot again but as soon as I start driving it will go back down to normal. I noticed when running, the fans rarely run and when the car is off and in an attempt to cool itself down, only one fan runs and runs for awhile and it’s loud. The radiator seems to be in good shape but if anyone knows what this could be that would be greatly appreciated!! I’m afraid soon the car will overheat too much and blow something. Thanks!

datechboss101

Reaction score
What's the fluid level of the coolant and when was the last time the coolant was changed? If this runs low or there is no coolant, the engine will usually heat up. Also, you should get those fans replaced.

Ashton

Reaction score
What's the fluid level of the coolant and when was the last time the coolant was changed? If this runs low or there is no coolant, the engine will usually heat up. Also, you should get those fans replaced.

My coolant tank is like double the max line and I have no idea when it was last changed since I bought it around a year ago with no problems since. Are the fans easily replaced if that’s the issue?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd start with the basics -

Change coolant & thermostat and figure out why fans aren't coming on. Then go from there.

Ashton

Reaction score
Solved the issue! I bought a new thermostat and was changing the coolant also and while taking it all out I noticed the tube that goes inside of the resevoir tank wasn’t even connected! This meant as th engine got hot, it couldn’t pull more coolant to cool it down and ever since I did all of that the gauge doesn’t even go past the half mark. Thanks for the help!

Back