Stock air box mod

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I had the bright idea of modifying my stock air box for better throttle response.

Instead of taking the bumper off and doing a lot of work I was going to cut vent holes on the bottom side of the air box to pull air directly front around the air box

I see no reason it would not work. Basically pulling air from the same area as other CAI/SRI. I'm cheap and I'm not looking for horsepower gains. Mainly throttle response and I enjoy tinkering.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Ok so I pulled out the drill after work today with a nice 1" hole saw and started going to town on the bottom half of the air box. I lost track but I put around 15-20 holes all around any flat spot I could find.

I had to hurry as the wife was getting upset lol. The effect was as desired.

Throttle response is better and the GROWL is FRICKIN AWESOME!!

Hardly any air is getting pulled through the the restrictive resonator assembly. The butt dyno tells me I gained a few hps also. But the sound is awesome and that's what I wanted

DrDoom

Reaction score
just take the resonator out completely in the front bumper. Also 38$ on ebay for a cai or sri, 15$ for a cone filter would have done the same also. i remember when i first got rid of my resonator i was flooring it everywhere. Cheers bro!

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I don't have time to pull the bumper off. I have a 3 week old baby and a 4 year old. I see no need to pull the resonator off when I can drill some holes in the box.

I did have the thought of doing that mod but the time factor kills me. Also the money for a sri and cone filter goes to my baby and family first.

Mikey

Reaction score
4-5 clips up top and 2 screws on the side. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to remove the bumper. And I agree; removing the resonator or buying a cheap SRI will have a better effect.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'll remove the bumper one day to paint it flat black.

But I already ordered and received three more stock air filters from rock auto. I plan on utilizing my stock diy'd cold air intake until I use these filters up. I'll post pics when I'm finished modifying it.

Back