Alternator
Battery
Main relay
Tps sensor
Distributor Cap
Fuel pump
MAP sensor
Ignition
Took to my local Honda dealer and they told me they CANT even figure it out. No codes either.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
4cyl - 6cyl?

Better description of when its dying? While driving? While attempting to start?

runves3

Reaction score
While driving and I could leave it idling in driveway for a while aprx. 20 min. Starts every time. J30 6 cylinder.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
I'm assuming it's a 98 or 99 since you have plug wires.

I had a bad connector on the transmission computer once years ago, and the car would act like it had been turned off. Usually when I had problems the symptoms would be that the speedometer all of a sudden stopped working and I would have only 3rd gear. But once in awhile the engine would die and then immediately restart with the key. Sometimes a bump in the road would jostle things enough that everything started working correctly again. This was in my 02, but should be similar if not the same on 98-99 "early" 6th gens.

Also maybe your throttle body is all gummed up and not allowing enough air through when it snaps shut right after being on the gas?

Does it happen when you are coasting or coming off the gas? Does it happen more often when it's humid/raining? Does it ever happen when the car is still cold, or only at operating temp (warmed up)? Do you smell gas when the car dies?

Is it possible your ignition switch is wearing out?

If you could explain how it "feels" and go into as much detail as possible about this, that would help. What's the mileage? Has any work been done recently?

The more detail you go into, the more information we have, and it'll be more likely someone will be able to help you.

STOP THROWING PARTS AT IT UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT'S WRONG!!!! That's just stupid and wasteful.

runves3

Reaction score
Yes, 99. 150k miles. No fuel smell. Only happens when warm. It could die while on throttle, coasting or coming to a stop. It's intermittent. When it does happen after warmed up, it won't stop. I may go 2-5 miles or 10-15. Drives ya nuts. It is just like the ignition symptoms, but dealership said its strong. It's been replaced. I am only the second owner. My dad had it before me. It's always been serviced at dealership.

Connie

Reaction score
Does EVERYTHING die when it dies, or just the engine? (do you still have headlights/turn signals/radio???)

Have you checked all of your battery connections and grounds?

Had a Hyundai Accent act like this once and it turned out that there was a loose ground wire under the passenger kickpanel for the ECU.

I'd check every ground you can find under the dash, under the passenger kickpanel, and under the hood; maybe that's the reason for your intermittent power loss to the ECU.

Also check the harness as it leaves the underhood fuse and relay box. It's in a good spot to soak up lots of road grime and dirt and also to rub on shyte.

Those ECUs with the ribbon cable attaching the board to the connector deteriorate over time. Sometimes they are just attached with this white conductive glue crap, and over time they dry out and the plastic can shrink and mess up the connection to the board. That's why half of the bulbs in your dash probably don't work (have this problem in all 4 of my 6th gens.)

I don't have a clue what your problem is, just trying to be helpful and give you some stuff to verify and hoping someone chimes in who has had the same problem and gotten it repaired. Don't give up, keep digging and we will help you figure this out.

Last edited:

runves3

Reaction score
All electrical components work fine. I've checked the - and + terminals. I don't know where ALL the grounds are. I was wondering if there is a kill switch in the door. My interior light does not come on when opening the drivers door. Also the "lheadlight chime" does not work when lights are left on. If I could get some kind of quick reference to grounds that would be very helpful.

Thanks again.

dawg316

Reaction score
when it dies will it restart back fine or will it die out again ?

when you go to restart it , dose it take a long *** time of cranking before it fires up?

also is it a sputter then die or instantly dies.

also when it dies dose it die while idle lets say when your sitting at a light or while coasting down the highway at above 2000rpm ?

runves3

Reaction score
It starts up fine after dying
No lag in ignition when restarting

It does not sputter, it quits

It can die in driveway idiling at 750 rpm or at 4000 rpm. It doesn't care.

Sitting in driveway now with air on listening to her purr like a kitten. Then pssssst gone.

CUBMAN1018

Reaction score
Mine did this before I bought it. The lady that had it from new brought it into the dealer where I was working, saying it was doing the same thing. One of the techs worked on it, had me order a coil from a local parts store. Still to this day don't know what he did, but it hasn't shut down on me.

Back