anyone here had any rack and pinion problems?

dc2kid

Reaction score
my friends car is leaking some oil he was told by the mechanic it could be the rack and pinion and its a big job have any off you guys know much it would cost to fix like a estimate price and if its a big job?

finch13

Reaction score
Find a new shop. When a mechanic says "it could be..." when it comes to leaks, it's time to move on.

As far as removing the rack, there's two lines going to it and it's held on by two bolts. Usually you can pop both tie rod ends out and then slide the entire rack out the side of the car. I think in the Accord's case it just drops down... either way I wouldn't expect to pay more than 3-4 hrs labor for a R&R job. Does the mechanic even know what is leaking or is he just going to sell you a new rack, pressure and return lines?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh...it's held on by more than two bolts. Let me tell you how much of a PITA it is to remove that thing and reinstall it.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
It took me about 5hrs to remove the rack and pinion in my wifes toyota avalon. After that, I had to get an alignment as well. I was pretty damn tired and :sleeping: afterwards.

You should probably just go to a mechanic and get it done, I wish I did that to begin with

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Ah, I took a rack out of a Saturn 2 weeks ago and all I had to do was remove the mounting bolts, tie rod ends and line fittings and pull it out the side of the car.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a little more involved on the accord.

There's 2-3 brackets that hold it into the subframe. The sway bar is in the way of getting to a few from under the car. If you live in an area that uses salt, you'll need an impact to get some bolts out. Then...disconnect it from the rack under the dash, disconnect the lines if you can reach them, then try and arm wrestle it out from the subframe.

Back