H23a vtec with f20b tranny!!!

crunch_berries

Reaction score
Alright hows it going everybody i gotta couple questions i need help with and i was hoping someone can shed some light on the situation since im getting nowhere searching through forums all over the internet and its starting to drive me crazy haha... ok let me begin... I was wanting to do an engine swap to get rid of my f23a4 (im sick of it it has nowhere near the power im looking for and i wanna go manual instead of the auto tranny) and swap in a H23A VTEC with a F20B tranny... I cant find anywhere on forums of someone doing this o even attempting it, i know it can be done im just curious of what all the complications would be (if any). Or if im just better off dropping an H22A tranny instead... im looking for whatever build would be better for power in the long run the H23A VTEC with a F20B tranny o go H23A VTEC with H22A tranny.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP AND SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT!!!

twofast4u

Reaction score
I'm 95% sure you can use pretty much any F series (except f20C s2000 motor) or H series tranny on the H23A So long as its a manual you should be fine.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the same as any H22 swap and the tranny bolts up and you can use any H or F clutch components and do the manual swap like the write up says and blah blah blah...

The following engines are all 95% the same engine aside from some minor internal differences.

H23 vtec
H22
F20B

The following transmissions will all swap between H and F series engines that came in Accords & Preludes

F23
F22
H22
H23
F20B

Last edited:

nathan007

Reaction score
No issues at all, i've been running a T2T4 with a h23 vtec last summer, it's totally "bolt on", The only issue i'd say is driving at 100km/h at around 3000rpm

crunch_berries

Reaction score
Idk i kinda keep going back and forth between an h2f o a h2b idk what to do lol i know the h2f will be easier but i keep hearing the h2b is more practical... Aaaaaaah!!! What to do what to do lol

Jarrett

Reaction score
What's practical about a transmission that needs an adapter plate kit that will cost you a minimum of $600 if you get the cheap eBay version? Then, you'll have to run custom axles and figure out the shift linkage situation. H2B/D kits are practical for H/F-series engines being installed into cars that originally came with B/D-series engines.

And there's no nomenclature for the H2F setup. It's just called reassembly.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
H2n isn't worth it in a lot of cases, and I don't even think it's been done before in these cars. I don't remember which transmission codes they are, but there's h/f series transmissions that are about as short geared as B series vtec ones

floating doc

Reaction score
Forgive me for jumping into this discussion, but while we're on the subject of which manual transmission to use with the H23, I have a question:

I've thought about an H23 with my stock accord manual transmission. I have read that the H22 will fall out of vtec with the long gears of the stock accord transmission, but is that also true with the H23? It's a longer stroke engine for a heavier car, so I was wondering if it also has the really high RPM engagement for the vtec.

If that's the case, what about tuning the vtec to engage at 4000?

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
I used the accord trans with the h23a and it always fell out of vtec. But it was fun hitting almost 70 in 2nd gear! Best thing to do would be use a short ratio trans such as just about any h series one.
And it might not be beneficial to have the vtec engagement that low.

Back