Question about headers??

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
OK so i can get these headers for a pretty good price once i get some negotiations done..would these headers be ok to have?? I don't know much about this kinda stuff so not sure on whether they would be good or not..I have to get SS headers and these are them :D

http://www.tommotorsport.com/2005/shop/index.php?page=detail&id=415&lang=en&devise=USD#

Anyways i just got SRI also, so would i gain anymore performance getting headers also..i have heard that headers and SRI don't work great together but not sure if that is true

So should i buy these?? I want the burnt look that SS have, but then again i don't want to have them if they hurt my torque or anything..Also would buying headers do anything for emissions?? If so what

white beauty

Reaction score
alright the header looks good, i personally went with DC sports ceramic because of the good rep DC has, and ceramic keeps the heat in the engine bay low, which since u have an sri u should consider. and personally i like the look of ceramic better, if u wnat take a look at mine, the link is at the bottom of my sig. As for the performance i have an Sri also and when i added this i did notice a gain in the top end, from like 4k on, u will defineatly notice a top end gain, as for low end torque, its gone jk lol, but at least for me and other people on this site we did lose some low end. as for emission not sure about that header but DC headers are CARb legal so it doesnt hurt emissions, then again i live in florida where there is no emissions test so i wouldnt know if i would pass or not. Hope that helps

Last edited:

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
Personally, Id say dont waste your money. If your not into going all fast then just keep it stock(either way it wont ake you that fast). The stock 5th gen manifolds are already really good and the aftermarkets just basically copy their design and make it look prettier.

The burnt SS look doesnt last forever. It eventually turns just brown and has spots on them. It doesnt stay that nice goldish blue for long.

I have seen some repolish their SS headers but that looks like a lotta work.

white beauty

Reaction score
The stock 5th gen manifolds .

Hope thats a typo, :thinking:

Anyway, i disagree with what u said about it being the same design, the exhaust mainfold on our cars, restricts airflow much more more than a aftermarket header, the exhaust from the engine basically gets shoved down the stock manifold then goes threw one pipe that goes to the cat and out the exhaust, with a header, the exhaust has 4 individual pipes to go threw which then goes into two pipes then threw the cat and out the exhaust.

But yeah that burnt look only stays for a while then it gets really ugly, and also i have yet to do it but getting an exhaust really helps, becasue then there is a lot less back pressure being put on the engine which is what gives u the power, taking off ur cat or getting a high-flow one would help as well

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Have you heard good things about that company or had previous experience with their products? There are many companies out there that make headers by copying popular designs, this is fine but what you need to look out for is if they are using real SS or some other metal. Mandrel bent is also what you want to look for since it will have smoother bends as opposed to a press. Finally the quality of the welds, that is the biggest concern with getting aftermarket headers. The one you linked seems to be good, I'd just be wary if you've never dealed with that company before tho.

As for SS or ceramic both will eventually deteriorate overtime. The ceramic header is a mid grade steel with usually a ceramic coating inside and outside the pipes. The ceramic coat will eventually peel off and expose the mid grade steel which won't hold up that great being fully exposed, but this is a very very long way down the road. The SS header is more durable steel and can be repolished to get it back to its original appearance, looks much better than the ceramic header imo. Pros of the SS header are durability, looks, hotter temp which will help with exhaust gas escape velocities (hotter= faster moving gases which is better); the cons are that the engine bay will be warmer but I have the SS header myself and I've never had any issues with heat since we have so much airflow and extra space in our bays. Also when I feel my SRI after a hard drive its always cool and I haven't experienced heat soak really. The pros of the ceramic header are that the engine bay will be significantly cooler. Cons include not lookin as nice as the SS header(imo), and durability is not as great although a lot of people have had good experience in that department as well.

The design of the header is much different than stock, it is a 4-2-1 design. The runners are designed as to streamline the exhaust pulses from the engine into a somewhat continuous stream and create low/high pressure areas. The low pressure areas will help "pull" exhaust gases away from the block, this is scavenging. Also the header has smooth long pipes that will reduce back pressure and allow the gases to escape more freely. You WILL lose a little low end because the runners on the aftermarket headers are wider than stock and at low rpms less exhaust gas is being pumped into the header. Smaller amounts of cooler of gas at lower speeds will expand quickly and fill the available space in the header, these gases will move slow and you will have back pressure. At higher rpms however this is not an issue and the system will flow very freely compared to with the stock manifold, you will have some serious gains in the top end. Overall your car will be faster, but in the low end you will have very very small losses.

As for emmissions they will be affected from what I've heard, but I don't live in a place where that matters. You'll need something that comes with the CARB sticker, I know DC has this but I'm not sure if any other companies have it. I have the OBX R header and I know it doesn't come with one.

EDIT: Just wanted to add my gas mileage went up with this setup (SRI+header). I can drive semi-agressively now and get the same mileage as driving conservatively before the mods.

The SRI and header is a good combo imo. The SRI gives low end and the header will give high end. Anyways sorry for the looong post but its late and I have nothing better to do really...

Last edited:

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
For the money you can't beat a Megan Racing header.

lsintegra2.jpg

9295preludesiheaders.jpg

Last edited:

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
The color change probably won't matter in the long run since i plan on parting out in a year or so. I do however like SS over ceramic, that is why i never bought headers because i can never find some SS that i like for a good price...Ceramic to me are just plain, and just dont' look as good as SS..I always wanted some Megan ones but didn't buy them when i had the chance

I think i would be ok on emissions but not sure...How would i know if they test for CARB in TN? When i go they plug something into my car under the steering wheel and then check to make sure my gas cap is good..so i guess there is no CARB??

I can get these from a friend for probably around 175 or so..is that good? or should i just pass...

FOR THE RECORD..i am not really buying these for performance haha, more for the looks and small performance gains...AKA gas mileage

tiktawk

Reaction score
...i disagree with what u said about it being the same design, the exhaust mainfold on our cars, restricts airflow much more more than a aftermarket header, the exhaust from the engine basically gets shoved down the stock manifold then goes threw one pipe that goes to the cat and out the exhaust, with a header, the exhaust has 4 individual pipes to go threw which then goes into two pipes then threw the cat and out the exhaust.

The 5th gen EX exhaust is a 4-2-1. This was also used on 99 CL F23 so gains by installing a tube header would be minimal.

The 6th gen and 5th gen LX/DX are as you describe (single pipe to cat, etc.) so would definitely flow better with a header.

Back