98 Accord LX dies/shuts off while driving....HELP!

hondaluver

Reaction score
I had this intermittent problem as well.

Thoroughly cleaned the intake manifold, iacv, fitv, installed new seals where needed. Changed coil inside distributor, the main relay, ignition switch. Changed the ignition module inside the distributor.... Finally! problem gone :driving:. Fuel pump was the last resort since they rarely go out.

Would the ignition module cause the gauges to die also and the key light to flash ?? It happens for only a second and resumes normal. I am still leaning towards the ignition switch currently.

james'99

Reaction score
Would the ignition module cause the gauges to die also and the key light to flash ?? It happens for only a second and resumes normal. I am still leaning towards the ignition switch currently.

No. Take note of what your car does when you turn off the key. That is exactly the symptom of a bad ignition switch.

Anwar

Reaction score
Read my post Intermittent stall on freeway.

I replaced the main relay and problem solved. Another way to tell is if your radio stereo stays on when you stall its the relay. If all the dash lights and radio shuts off and stays off its the ignition switch. Hope this helps..........

hondaluver

Reaction score
I have done the ignition switch testing but cannot replicate the stall despite manipulating the key in every way I can. I know that doesn't confirm anything with this intermittent issue but it does rule out an absolute switch failure. I have checked the main relay and solder joints all look good.

I have been stall free for a week but today my temp gauge has gone wonky, doesn't respond then suddenly springs to life. Now it seems dead. This along with a blower resistor which keeps on blowing has been keeping my fan on off or full all week. I have gone through 2 resistors already and they get stinking hot and then stop working.

Last edited:
Back