Rear parking lights stay on

Goldfinger24k

Reaction score
Hi group.

I have a 98 Accord LX coupe. The taillights, NOT the brake lights, are stuck on. I kinda thought maybe it was from water getting into the trunk lid panel and messing up the lights but I've cleaned up those sockets and made sure everything was dry and they still come on as soon as the battery is hooked up.

Light switch on the column was replaced and still no difference.

The front parking lights don't come on unless I turn the light switch on.

The wiring ground on the driver's side is clean with no corrosion.

Any other ideas of what to look for?

I hate wiring issues! LOL.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Looking at the circuit diagram, this is positive switched, so it's hard to see where this could happen. Also, the front lights are on the same circuit, so power at the tail light relay (With auto-off feature, without should be direct from the switch) SHOULD also power on the front marker lights.

The brake lights could be an exception, and I've seen some funky stuff with short circuits to brake/trunk light assemblies.

In order for there to be power with the light switch off, it has to be coming from somewhere else. The most LIKELY culprit is the trunk illumination circuit somehow supplying power to the circuit somehow.

Fuse 11 (7.5A) in the under-dash box should pull power from the trunk light. (Also the rest of the interior courtesy lamps and glove box lamp) If that stops the tail lights from lightint up, then that's where your power is coming from.

jypatric

Reaction score
Maybe a stuck relay? If you have an aftermarket alarm installed in your car, it could be the culprit also.

Back