Adding Trunk release "popper on OEM security system

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
*Edit: for anyone searching on this topic:

To add trunk release on a oem security system, you need the trunk latch from an ex accord, and a 4pin relay. You install the trunk latch and hook up the wire with the terminal to a wire that is blue taped to the trunk harness inside the trunk lid itself. Once you do that, go over to your security system harness and find a 4pin plug that's also blue taped to the harness and plug in your relay there. Now stand back and hold down the option button and give yourself a pat on the back.

Link:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/accordtrunkopener.pdf

So I just spent the past month picking and pulling parts to add the oem security system on my 98 sedan LX. I was only after keyless entry but all I found in the pick n pull was the full security system. For $15 it wasn't a bad deal. I did the install on Sunday and finally bought a used remote from an auto locksmith yesterday. I can finally unlock my doors with the push of a button!

Anyway. Fast forward to this moment: I want to pop my trunk with my remote...

* Since I have an LX, I have the remote that says "OPTION" on it.

* While at the junkyard, I bought the electronic trunk actuator latch thing from an EX. (The one that let's you open the trunk from inside the trunk, in case I ever lock myself in)

I just need to know how to wire this new trunk actuator to my OEM security system harness. There were some wires on the harness that were left un used.

* Honda sells add-ons for this system. Such as the siren/ soft chirp add on, the hood and trunk sensor, etc.

If there was only one un-used wire on the harness then obviously it would be for the trunk actuator, but CLEARLY there is more than one.

* I am sure that the harness I need is discontinued so I am okay with wiring my own harness from the actuator to the security system harness.

Has anyone ever done this? Have any schematics, part numbers, diagrams? Etc

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FNCONE

Reaction score
Re: Adding Trunk release "popper on OEM security system

these should help

james'99

Reaction score

Do you have the pigtail? Should be able to use any automotive relay.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score

I do have a cb7 laying around that I was going to junk. Can I grab a 4pin relay from there?

james'99

Reaction score

I do have a cb7 laying around that I was going to junk. Can I grab a 4pin relay from there?

Hmm... Not sure. I mean, you can but it won't have a conventional plug more than likely. Gonna go through the documentation quick. See if I can see exactly what you need. The relay you need though is gonna be a 5 dollar relay.

james'99

Reaction score

What year was the EX by the way? I had to do a trunk swap on my car and learned that they used different latches and wiring. The standards changed because for safety reasons, they had to put a glow in the dark on the trunk release in 2000 or 2001. On mine, it did not.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score

Okay cool thank you. I Remember pulling a couple of fuses and relays (to keep as spares) office of some 6th generation accords when I was down south visiting a few pick n pull junkyard. It's too damn cold out to try to mess around with any of that right now lol.

Fusionreactives

Reaction score

What year was the EX by the way? I had to do a trunk swap on my car and learned that they used different latches and wiring. The standards changed because for safety reasons, they had to put a glow in the dark on the trunk release in 2000 or 2001. On mine, it did not.
TBH, I don't remember. I know it had the handle in case you locked yourself in the trunk

Fusionreactives

Reaction score

Okay, this is what I have.

http://i.imgur.com/ZYI3Inl.jpg

*Edit:

Sorry for the double post! I just learned how to edit a post on the tapatalk app. Lol

Okay so I just installed the trunk lock/actuator and it bolted right up and I didn't have to do anything crazy. The hardest part was taking off that blue tape off the terminal that locks into the terminal on the harness.

After installing the trunk lock, I went to go look for this 4pin connector blue taped to the harness... I couldn't find anything! I freaked out for a second but realized that I had a total of 3 relays on my security harness. I quickly looked at the installation pdf for the security system and saw that it only came with 2 relays.

That's when the light bulb went off in my head and I put everything back together and held down the option button on my remote. I heard a "pop" sound and my trunk was open!!!

This just goes to show that even when it's 17 degrees out, and you have a day off work that you should just go ahead and do it!

Thank you for the help everyone. I hope this thread can help someone else out in the future.

Last edited:
Back