weird engine noise f23

johnjohn18

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/BFLyBFzQZII

Hey guys
3 years with the car same noise but now it bothers me cause the mechanic said I need a new engine. What u guys think?150k 5 speed accord 1999 lx.
Check the video on top.
Thanks

twofast4u

Reaction score
sounds like the valves...i would try doing a valve adjustment before anything else.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
That does not sound like a simple valve ticking needing a valve lash, that knocking is coming from your connecting rods bearings being ate up from lack of oil at some point in it's life considering the lower miles you listed.

Why would you go 3 years with a noise like that and not address it till now?

Any ways your mechanic is probably right about just needing to drop a used F23 in because the cost of all the parts and labor to repair that kind of damage is going to exceed the cost of a used motor from Hmotorsonline .

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Sounds like rod knock to me.

With the car running remove one spark plug wire at a time and see which one makes the noise go away, wear gloves and use pliers with rubber on the handle. I have a set of needle nose pliers with some rubber tubing around the jaws. Prob a spun bearing or something like that. I've replaced bearings in cars with the engine still in granted it was on old V8 muscle cars with bigger clearances. Might be possible if that is your issue but its a quick fix, not a permanant one.

It sounds bad enough that you could just do some oil treatments to thicken it up and drive it till it fails but you will most likely need a rebuild/used engine in the near future.

Here is a quick youboob of the procedure to find what cyl is problematic.

Last edited:
Back