Transmission issues yet again on my 98 ex-l 4 cylinder

98-EX-Leather

Reaction score
All,

I had the tranny rebuilt at a transmission place back in 2010. Fast forward 6 years and the tranny is bad again.

The vehicle had 124k miles when the tranny was rebuilt. The car now has 176k.

Should a rebuilt tranny only last 50k miles??

Here are my options:

- where can i buy a rebuilt tranny?
- it is worth it to change it again?

Does anyone recommend anything?

Txs.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
it's up to you if you want to keep putting money in it. Some of us, like myself, keep putting money into our car and keep driving the $hit out of it rather than junk it and buy another car...only to possibly end up having to keep putting money into that car we replaced it with.

I don't know if the 4 cylinders use the same tranny as the V6, but those 4 speeds were not a great design to begin with.

See if a dealer will send that tranny off to a local HONDA factory for a rebuild. You will know it was rebuilt at a local factory by checking the inside of the tranny case for a sticker/plate that will have the date of the rebuild and the techs initials/first initial last name or maybe a technicians code....sorry, i'm not sure. The factory should replace any parts/upgrade any parts and ensure any issues that can be corrected(is possible) are done so when it is rebuilt.

Tell the dealer you want to inspect the tranny before it is installed and if they have a invoice sheet that comes with it, you want to see that too ....this is to check for proof it was sent to a HONDA factory versus the dealer simply having a local shop rebuild it for them. If they refuse, then don't use them.

Most, if not all, tranny shops will have no idea about the history of those 4 speeds and will simply replace worn parts with aftermarket parts that are at a local parts place....who probably don't have OEM parts. Tranny shops that use those cheap aftermarket parts can lead to premature failure of the tranny. But again, those 4 speed designs are not great.

If you have a local shop rebuild it again and after they tear down the tranny, have them give you a list of parts that need replaced and order OEM HONDA parts.

Also, put a tranny cooler on it -- heat is what kills the tranny by reducing the protection factor in the fluid. Replace the fluid every 25k miles and Replace the fluid pressure switches and external filter every 50k miles as preventive maintenance.

barfo

Reaction score
All,

I had the tranny rebuilt at a transmission place back in 2010. Fast forward 6 years and the tranny is bad again.

The vehicle had 124k miles when the tranny was rebuilt. The car now has 176k.

Should a rebuilt tranny only last 50k miles??

Here are my options:

- where can i buy a rebuilt tranny?
- it is worth it to change it again?

Does anyone recommend anything?

Txs.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

If you plan on keeping it, I'd recommend a 5-spd swap. Besides, it'll be a heck of a lot more fun to drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
Honda doesent let independent shop send tranmissions to them for rebuilds. Only dealers and even then its just a core. You dont get the same case back

Back