Bense's H23A Swap HowTo & Discussion Thread.

TedMicer

Reaction score
Currently.

20140815_021413.jpg

Civic radiator for temporary use because I'm impatient.

Last night when I test drove it, I took it up to 6200RPM and it lost all power and I struggled to make it home.

I'm going to go test the ignition coil, ignitor, and other components of that distributor, and install the replacement radiator that came in today.

I know this is an old post but did you ever find out what was the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bense

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but did you ever find out what was the problem

The original socketed ECU that I had was from my Civic, which had been parked for just over 4 years after I got in an accident and did some front end damage to the vehicle. It was in a very moist/damp area on the edge of my father's property, and the PCB of the ECU I was using was covered in mold.

The ECU worked for maybe ~20 minutes. I purchased a 'new' socketed OBD1 ECU from eBay and it resolved everything.

Bense

Reaction score
Apparently google doesn't let us embed images anymore, so I've gotta figure out a way to post/host pictures now.

Annoying as crap.

Bense

Reaction score
I've been planning and scheduling to take the Accord 'offline' so that I can address some outstanding issues. The entire engine/trans has been running strong for over over 2 years now. (I'd have to go back and check the mileage of the old cluster before I swapped it out).

Issues to address:
* Transmission synchros are wearing.
* Seals are leaking (rear main, and possibly some of the transmission seals) -- I go through about 1-2 quarts a week.
* Clutch is starting to slip when I beat on it.

Trans:
* New synchros
* Dual synchro 1st gear
* Either swapping in the H23A1 5th, or modifying trans to use B16 5th with B16 5/R fork
* New input shaft bearing/seal
* New Axle seals

Other Parts to Upgrade/Swap out:
* Accord Type R Intake Manifold. (Just like the one I did the write-up for nearly 10 years ago.)
* New sensors on the intake manifold
* A Throttlebody pulley that has the channel for the cruise control cable!!
* Rear main seal
* Clutchmasters aluminum flywheel (Scored this for $45 used, not sure if I'm going to use it)
* New clutch/pressure plate

Transmission Recap: (easier explained if I make a table)
Original F23A1 (P2A8) transmission
1st = 3.2857 (46/14) - Type R (Same ratio, but dual synchro) - new brass synchros
2nd = 1.8077 (47/26) - Original F23
3rd = 1.3200 (33/25) - M2S4 (92-96 prelude Si H23A1)
4th = 1.0344 (30/29) - M2S4 (92-96 prelude Si H23A1)
5th = 0.8484 (28/33) - B16/ITR ** Requires modification
Fnl = 4.2666 (64/15) - M2S4 (92-96 prelude Si H23A1)

Trying to find an LSD for cheap...

Some pics...

Ridiculously Over-engineered Honda gear ratio concoctions. (I needed something to stay busy with in between interviews while I was unemployed.)
I'll share this spreadsheet that I have over 500 hours invested in with anyone that wants to pay off my student loan debt.
Kq7FrML.jpg

Neodymium magnets recycled from old harddrives as 'upgraded' transmission magnet
ZBja15k.jpg

Found my box of leftover synchros from previous trans builds.
lVdb3en.jpg

Removing Unneeded Hose Barb from Accord Type R Intake Manifold
JTouN8b.jpg

Accord Type R Intake Manifold Posing in the Sun
gUmA04L.jpg

Last edited:
Back