Changing brake light function

magicman1215

Reaction score
Well the stock bulbs (dual filament) are 3057 not 3157. I bought a set of 3156 (single filament) and although they appear to be the same size, it would not fit into the socket. Did you mean to say 3056? It seems like a much simpler solution, but maybe I just bought the wrong bulbs... :thinking:

Mikey

Reaction score
We put tape on the bulb itself. I didn't think to use a different bulb, lol. Does it set off the Brake Light on the dash?

HomerJay

Reaction score
Well the stock bulbs (dual filament) are 3057 not 3157. I bought a set of 3156 (single filament) and although they appear to be the same size, it would not fit into the socket. Did you mean to say 3056? It seems like a much simpler solution, but maybe I just bought the wrong bulbs... :thinking:
My invoice shows 3156 bulbs. According to bulb sites, the 3156 replace 3056 (and many others). Probably like 194 and 168 fitting the same socket. I do recall the bulbs clicking into place.
We put tape on the bulb itself. I didn't think to use a different bulb, lol. Does it set off the Brake Light on the dash?
Since they're turn signals, these two bulbs won't set off the brake light on the dash whether LED or not.

Last edited:

magicman1215

Reaction score
Alright I finally got it. Yeah, a 3156 and a 3057 should fit into the same socket like you said, but for the life of me I could not get it to snap in there. However, what I did instead was bend the little metal contacts on the base of the bulb so that there was only one contact on each side of the bulb. (just like a 3156 single filament bulb) Thanks everyone for your help. I knew it would be simple, I was just a little confused. Here is the result:

8596266579_3762a0df86.jpg

todd_cards

Reaction score
Alright I finally got it. Yeah, a 3156 and a 3057 should fit into the same socket like you said, but for the life of me I could not get it to snap in there. However, what I did instead was bend the little metal contacts on the base of the bulb so that there was only one contact on each side of the bulb. (just like a 3156 single filament bulb) Thanks everyone for your help. I knew it would be simple, I was just a little confused. Here is the result:

confused on the bulbs. should i get the 3156 or a 3057 bulb or could just a stock bulb work and just tape off one of the leads like the OP says or somewhere in the thread i think someone just taped off and it still fit in the socket!?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you want a filament bulb just buy a 3056 and follow Homer's method, or get a 3057 and follow mine.

If you want an LED bulb, I just used a 3157 (same fitment as 3057) and covered the correct lead with electrical tape.

The lead that needs covered is in this thread.

todd_cards

Reaction score
If you want a filament bulb just buy a 3056 and follow Homer's method, or get a 3057 and follow mine.

If you want an LED bulb, I just used a 3157 (same fitment as 3057) and covered the correct lead with electrical tape.

The lead that needs covered is in this thread.

found the 3057 at a local auto store! cheap as crap! whats the difference between a filament bulb and the stock? what is the stock bulb??

Back