Engine oil leak- need help

98-EX-Leather

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a shop that was working on my transmission and stated i have an oil leak coming from the back of the engine.

Its a 98 accord v4 ulev motor.

I thought it was from the valve cover gasket but apparently its coming from a solanoid which they advised needs to be replaced to stop the oil leak.

Is this true? If so which part is it and can it be easily fixed?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
If it's the vtec solenoid you do not need to replace the whole thing to stop the leak, there are two gaskets that seal that unit and it's common for those to leak with age. I've already been threw this with every vtec motor from the 90's that I have owned.
The only time you would need to replace the whole unit is if it failed where it develops a leak internally in the solenoid traveling down threw the electrical wire in which that solenoid uses to read the signal to activate your vtec. That is about the only time I have ever seen one go bad to the point of needing replacing unless someone did something really stupid to it.
It is located on the back left side of the head for the F23 motor , it's #9 on the exploded diagram here https://www.hondapartsonline.net/au...d-manual-engine/engine-cat/cylinder-head-scat

Or you could order it from rockauto and save some money($100.00 for the part), but first I would try replacing the top and lower gaskets ($5-$10 each) as those are normally the cause for the leak 90% of the time while the other 10% of the time it's a failed unit.

98-EX-Leather

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.

Just to clarify, i do not have a check engine light so if i choose to replace the solenoid with non oem can this cause a problem?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
No it should not cause a problem and believe it or not, that Rockauto one may not come in a lil fancy Honda OEM bag, but it will work and it will serve it's purpose for years to come.

What you really need to do before dropping a $100 is remove the OEM solenoid and take it apart into it's two halves and replace the upper and lower gaskets on it if it's NOT leaking threw the electrical lead that clips into the wire harness.
That is way cheaper then replacing the whole unit, which you only need as a last resort ditch effort or are 100% sure it's leaking threw it's electrical cord.

Back