Exhaust smell inside the cabin

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
To RustyAccord, is a J32 a direct swap, or are there mounts I'll need? A different trans? What costs would apply that I wouldn't see if I bought a J30A1 off eBay for a quick swap? Obviously it'd be great to put a J32 in, but the engine and swap out currently out of my budget, and any modifications to the engine bay would just drive costs up more.

Actually I just checked Connie's thread, and he replaced his J30 with a JDM J30. That was at 244Kkm, and that used engine now has been in service for another 260Kkm (total mileage on the body is 504Kkms). It's probably more than that, as he's putting 200km a week on the car. I don't know how often he changes the oil, but he does fill the fuel tank every 2 days.
That said I believe the J32 is the same, it's the J35 where things got slightly repacked. If you want a direct swap, putting in another J30 would be the way to go, as it's a direct swap.

I do agree with lothian on getting the timing belt replaced if you're not sure when it was last done. The 1st or OE belt should go 100K, the replacement belts are supposed to be replaced every 60K or 7 years whichever comes first. It's really preventative maintenance (aircraft engines get that too) to do it on a regular schedule. Some on here replace the crank and cam seals while they have the belt off, but it's not really required. Get a good belt from Rock Auto before you have the job done or doing it yourself. I've never done a V6 belt, but I have done 4 Accord 4 cylinder belts (a timing belt and a balance shaft belt each engine). Those are 4.5 hour jobs, a 5 hour job if you replace the water pump too.

lothian

Reaction score
I do agree with lothian on getting the timing belt replaced if you're not sure when it was last done...or [do] it yourself. Those are 4.5 hour jobs, a 5 hour job if you replace the water pump too.

This guy ain't doing his timing belt job himself. I promise you that.

Back