F&F Type 1 - worst investment ever! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
What I was getting at was that I've hit potholes before I dropped my car and the impact was never as hard as the impact is now. I live in Colorado and until you've been here, you have no idea how the roads are. The day after it snows or rains, potholes are created everywhere due to the erosion of the asphalt. Therefore, some of the potholes that weren't there yesterday are there today, so it's hard to predict where they are going to turn up. Now, I didn't directly blame the new coils for my cracked rim, but it DOES make a difference. It's physics at its best. There is far less shock travel, therefore when you hit a bump it causes the impact to be a lot harder.

Anyway, I am going to try to raise it a bit this weekend and see if that makes a difference. Thanks to those who actually gave constructive criticism without trolling.

Okay let me see here. First of all, aftermarket coilovers are going to be stiffer !!!!! Of course its going to be a harder impact when you run into potholes !!!! And as far as new potholes being formed ? Well that all plays into being am attentive driver. If you cant spot impetfections as youre driving then you are not suited to be driving .. also how will raising your car increase your shock travel ? Im assuming youre raising the car from the bottom tube and not messingwith the spring perch right ? I dont think you will give yourself anymore shock travel raising your car the proper way. Go sell the coils. Youre not ready. How low are you anyways ? Pictures would be nice.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
Yeah well if you get all that, and can bother bringing up the fact that you hit potholes before and it didn't do the same damage....that totally means you're supposed to be more careful when lower.

Like, surely you knew the suspension would be firmed up way in advance...because raising your car isn't going to make any difference, the wheels will still hit in the same spot with the same firmness as before. Being higher up will affect nothing man. We can go around the block with physics lessons and reality checks and all that, but when it comes down to it you're not being as careful as you possibly could be otherwise this kind of thing wouldn't be happening. The other solution would be don't ever lower any cars you own in your area :lawl:

and you're not going to last very long on here if you label anyone's opinion that isn't a response you deem flawless as trolling.

nobody likes a troll mislabeler :lawl:

haoleflip

Reaction score
Lol whatever. Some of you are in fact trolling and/or being smartasses (basically the same thing). "#youaintreadyfothatlifesuckayoloimgay" posts and the "learn how to ****in drive" posts are considered trolling, lol. Because I am unable to hover off of the ground where I live doesn't mean I'm a bad driver. Like I said, I follow the rules of the road, been driving for years now accident free and ticket free. Yes, please give me a cookie. Just because I can't drive 10 mph under the speed limit everywhere I go to keep an eye out for potholes and dips in the road doesn't make me a bad driver. It just means I perhaps have something to get used to. Anyway, thank you soccerchamp16, 001Stunna, lashlee, lenz973, Diskowon for not being immature trolls and actually giving good feedback and pointers. It's not hard to give constructive criticism without being an asshole, but I guess that's too much to ask on an internet forum lol.

And yes, the potholes are still a big issue here. Not just potholes, but imperfections in the road and the roads are very uneven and NOT flat in most areas. I've lived in LA, Hawaii and Arizona that aren't mountainous regions and the roads are nothing compared to those here. I'm going to have to just continue searching for alternate routes or something. I do want to get used to it, but I'm just having a hard time. And yes fargoth, I won't argue about physics and reality with you because in the end, physics and reality always win no matter what your argument. :peace:

Mikey

Reaction score
Lol @ "stance"..... The latest fad in the Honda world. Just ate a "stanced" out hatchie yesterday on a curvy road, dude didn't wanna "push it" whatever that means. Function > Looks ....but to each his own
I like this guy. Lol.

I was slammed on my f2s for awhile and couldn't deal with the headache. Raised it up enough to kill the wheel gap and I'm much happier with my ride quality. I'm going to a 45 series tire soon then I will crank them back down a but. My $.02
OP, listen to this.^^^

It sounds like you didn't do your research first. Nobody does but with all the "cool kids" spouting off at the mouth at how great FFs are, I'm not surprised you ended up with a set. Coilovers and slamming your car make the ride a lot harsher than you think. I think you should raise it back up, just to kill the wheel gap, and see how you like it. Even if you don't like it, get used to driving semi-lowered. Then lower as you feel comfortable.

I was gonna jump on the slammed bandwagon too but then I did research and actually drove a slammed car. I'll take ride quality over slammage any day.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
And yes fargoth, I won't argue about physics and reality with you because in the end, physics and reality always win no matter what your argument. :peace:

see that's the truly sad thing here....you actually think even having any conversation/argument about physics holds any relevance to your problem

or that having a good driving record according to the police department = I can drive a lowered car flawlessly, it's something else's fault

oh lordy :rolleyes:

Varnell

Reaction score
I don't see how suspension could prevent the rim from cracking. It's not like the wheel having room to move upward could have saved it since the impact is more on the lower front side. Having a more substantial tire could prevent it from cracking, but a profile of 35 or 40 can seem like wrapping a rim in dynamat if stretched too much.

I still remember cracking mine when a road sign said "Bump". Really, they cut down about two inches into the highway. Hitting that around 65mph almost brought a tear to my eye. Also, make sure your rim isn't cracked in more than one place. Welding two cracks is just delaying it from inevitably happening again.

Last edited:

haoleflip

Reaction score
see that's the truly sad thing here....you actually think even having any conversation/argument about physics holds any relevance to your problem

or that having a good driving record according to the police department = I can drive a lowered car flawlessly, it's something else's fault

oh lordy :rolleyes:

Physics does hold its relevance in this argument. Must I explain it again? That's why they call them SHOCKS or short for SHOCK ABSORBERS. They are meant to ABSORB or "smooth out" damp shock impulse and dissipate kinetic energy. With most coilovers the damper effect is lower thus causing kinetic energy to seem greater than it is because there is less room for that energy to travel. Therefore, when hitting a bump or a pothole, you are hitting it ten times harder than you would normally hit it if you had regular shocks that were actually meant to absorb energy.

Am I saying that it was entirely the pothole's fault and not mine? No, I did not state those words. I merely stated that it could in fact be a contributing factor as to why my rim is cracked now. You make it sound like I drive 20 mph over the speed limit everywhere purposely like a mad man, but that's not the case. No speeding tickets or wreckless driving tickets means you haven't been caught speeding, or you're generally a careful driver who always obeys the rules of the road. Until you've seen the roads here and actually driven them, you can't talk.

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
everyone's needs and perspectives are different... reading reviews on here does give some insights into the said product, but u should have tried driving another car with similiar coilovers first before purchasing a widely known stiff coilover

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Lol. Why would there be less room for the shock to travel ? Are you bottoming out when you hit potholes ? Are you getting tower slap ? If not, then you have plenty of shock travel. The coilover themselves are just stiffer. Like stated; you are not ready to drive lowered on coilovers. I dont give a flying **** what laws you abide by. You are just not ready amd knowledgeable enough to do so. By the way. I sometimes look like a drunk driver trying to avoid potholes .. I dont run into them. I dont give a **** what your excuse is. Go back to oem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back