F&F Type 1 - worst investment ever! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Here's a tip for driving a lowered car.

Always allow room between your car and the car in front of you, especially on unknown roads or at highway speeds. So if you see that the car in front of you just bounced up and down, you know there's a road imperfection and you just have to adjust or brace for impact lol.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
Physics does hold its relevance in this argument. Must I explain it again? That's why they call them SHOCKS or short for SHOCK ABSORBERS. They are meant to ABSORB or "smooth out" damp shock impulse and dissipate kinetic energy. With most coilovers the damper effect is lower thus causing kinetic energy to seem greater than it is because there is less room for that energy to travel. Therefore, when hitting a bump or a pothole, you are hitting it ten times harder than you would normally hit it if you had regular shocks that were actually meant to absorb energy.

Am I saying that it was entirely the pothole's fault and not mine? No, I did not state those words. I merely stated that it could in fact be a contributing factor as to why my rim is cracked now. You make it sound like I drive 20 mph over the speed limit everywhere purposely like a mad man, but that's not the case. No speeding tickets or wreckless driving tickets means you haven't been caught speeding, or you're generally a careful driver who always obeys the rules of the road. Until you've seen the roads here and actually driven them, you can't talk.

You sure are keen to just spout know it all statements instead of bare boning the facts of a situation, it's like you're diverting the subject away so you can just know it all it up about the technical aspects of suspension or how the law is written :lawl:

Also, where in the holy hell did anyone say or even ever so slightly infer that you drive like a mad man? WE'RE ALL SAYING YOU'RE BLIND TO POTHOLES ON THE ROAD GENIUS.

You really must think either I or many others on here are completely retarded to be explaining in such a condescending manner how suspension works. If you didn't realize this, I myself have had my car on coils for nearly five years in the D.C. Metro area, nationally renown for having some of the nation's worst traffic and road construction efforts. Your quaint little midwest area doesn't even know the meaning of bad road conditions son. :lawl:

Seriously, you're missing the point again man. All this has to do with, in fact all it ever has to do with...is actively avoiding potholes on the road yourself and paying attention to when other cars in front of you dip into things or there's road construction, or getting out of the lowered scene.

There is no magic fix, and you can't force the county to pave the road or fill in potholes. You gotta deal with it basically. You're not dealing with it.

haoleflip

Reaction score
Lol. Why would there be less room for the shock to travel ? Are you bottoming out when you hit potholes ? Are you getting tower slap ? If not, then you have plenty of shock travel. The coilover themselves are just stiffer. Like stated; you are not ready to drive lowered on coilovers. I dont give a flying **** what laws you abide by. You are just not ready amd knowledgeable enough to do so. By the way. I sometimes look like a drunk driver trying to avoid potholes .. I dont run into them. I dont give a **** what your excuse is. Go back to oem.

You sir obviously don't know what you're talking about. Have you compared an F&F Type 1 coilover to an OEM strut/shock assembly? The OEM assembly is obviously a lot bigger and longer (the shock itself is bigger, too) than the F&F assembly. More shock = more space for kinetic energy to travel = more absorption. Less shock = less space for kinetic energy to travel = less absorption. Period. No argument needed with that. It has nothing to do with bottoming out or "tower slapping." It's called physics, again. (Why doesn't anyone on here understand what physics are? YOU CAN'T CHANGE PHYSICS!)

And let me get another thing straight. I'm supposed to inconvenience the drivers around me by swerving from every single dip and pothole in the road? I'm supposed to take the chance that an officer sees me swerving and could possibly give me a ticket for wreckless driving because I am actively avoiding potholes? That excuse isn't going to fly with the police or the person you get into an accident with. That's what you're saying? If it is, then damn you're a selfish asshole on the roads lol. When I am able to and there is no one else around, sure I dodge every pothole and dip, but if I'm in traffic there's really not much of a choice sometimes. I swear, you all act like I'm on the road actively looking for potholes to hit lol. :thumbsup:

And it's obvious I'm not ready. I even said that a few times already, so thanks for pointing it out again lol. I've only had them for almost 3 months now. It's a HUGE change from what I'm used to. It's like wearing tennis shoes your whole life and then all of a sudden changing to high heels. You're going to have to get used to it. While some people like their F&F's my opinions about them are different. I am here to maybe gain some knowledge or some tips about how I could go about making the ride quality better if there is such a way. I didn't come here to be told what I already know.

Last edited:

scrapnav6

Reaction score
And we told you already that the only way that your ride quality will change is by raising it up or taking them off. Type one's have no damp. adjustments. What else do you want to hear? Obviously not what were telling you. And the time to gain knowledge on coilovers and how they will affect your ride and whatnot is Before you buy them. Not after. Dumbass

haoleflip

Reaction score
You sure are keen to just spout know it all statements instead of bare boning the facts of a situation, it's like you're diverting the subject away so you can just know it all it up about the technical aspects of suspension or how the law is written :lawl:

Also, where in the holy hell did anyone say or even ever so slightly infer that you drive like a mad man? WE'RE ALL SAYING YOU'RE BLIND TO POTHOLES ON THE ROAD GENIUS.

You really must think either I or many others on here are completely retarded to be explaining in such a condescending manner how suspension works. If you didn't realize this, I myself have had my car on coils for nearly five years in the D.C. Metro area, nationally renown for having some of the nation's worst traffic and road construction efforts. Your quaint little midwest area doesn't even know the meaning of bad road conditions son. :lawl:

Seriously, you're missing the point again man. All this has to do with, in fact all it ever has to do with...is actively avoiding potholes on the road yourself and paying attention to when other cars in front of you dip into things or there's road construction, or getting out of the lowered scene.

There is no magic fix, and you can't force the county to pave the road or fill in potholes. You gotta deal with it basically. You're not dealing with it.

I keep explaining it that way because you don't seem to understand the laws of physics every time I explain it to you. You continue to come up with a reason to counter my arguments as if you're doing it on purpose for the mere reason of pissing someone (me) off. I'm also not asking for a "magic fix." I'm simply wondering if there is a way to adjust them to a certain height or adjust the preload a certain way to get it to ride a bit smoother. Or are those questions not worthy or legitimate enough? Are these questions too far out of this world for some of you or something? I'm not asking for it to feel exactly the same as OEM did. I knew it wasn't going to be as smooth before even getting them, but I did not picture them to be this bad either. I am wondering how everyone else is able to use them with no issues. And yes I am "dealing with it," just not in a very pleasant manner to me.

001Stunna

Reaction score
OP, all this pointless arguments is just ... pointless. None of it is really providing any actual help or aid to you or anyone else. It is just making some enjoy their last hours at work with some entertaining back and forth bickering to read.

As for damper sizes and length...you have to keep in mind that what really matters in the end is the stroke length. The amount of room that the shaft has until it bottoms out on the damper. In addition the damper valving will also play a great role in how it feels/handles different conditions.

As already mentioned...either you or the shop who installed them...make sure you lowered the car from the bottom mount/perch and you did not mess with the spring preload. The spring is supposed to be preloaded 5mm from free length. For more info on it give a quick glance at FF website http://www.f2autolife.com/#!tech-tips/

If the car was lowered properly then raising or lowering it anymore will have no effect in ride feel and only change your ride height, because you're just extending the bottom mount and not affecting the actual damper in any way shape or form.

As for driving; one thing that comes hand by hand with a lowered car is the fact that you'll have to adjust your driving. That includes and is not limited to avoiding pot holes, having to takes driveways/ramps in an angle and not straight on, zig zaging over speed bumps, attempting to avoid road cracks or imperfections, and even slowing down and possibly slowing others down too at times or even going out of your way to pick a longer router that has smoother roads.

If any of the above seems displeasing to you...then you somewhat screwed yourself by buying FF coilovers especially to start with and should've gone with something softer.

Last edited:

haoleflip

Reaction score
And we told you already that the only way that your ride quality will change is by raising it up or taking them off. Type one's have no damp. adjustments. What else do you want to hear? Obviously not what were telling you. And the time to gain knowledge on coilovers and how they will affect your ride and whatnot is Before you buy them. Not after. Dumbass

And you sir are an idiot. No need for the "dumbass" I never called you any names. What are you 12 years old? Don't know how to talk things out like an adult? I DID do my homework before I bought them. Nothing in my research stated that I was going to be bouncing out of my lane while driving.

haoleflip

Reaction score
OP, all this pointless arguments is just ... pointless. None of it is really providing any actual help or aid to you or anyone else. It is just making some enjoy their last hours at work with some entertaining back and forth bickering to read.

As for damper sizes and length...you have to keep in mind that what really matters in the end is the stroke length. The amount of room that the shaft has until it bottoms out on the damper. In addition the damper valving will also play a great role in how it feels/handles different conditions.

As already mentioned...either you or the shop who installed them...make sure you lowered the car from the bottom mount/perch and you did not mess with the spring preload. The spring is supposed to be preloaded 5mm from free length. For more info on it give a quick glance at FF website http://www.f2autolife.com/#!tech-tips/

If the car was lowered properly then raising or lowering it anymore will have no effect in ride feel, because you're just extending the bottom mount and not affecting the actual damper in any way shape or form.

As for driving; one thing that comes hand by hand with a lowered car is the fact that you'll have to adjust your driving. That includes and is not limited to avoiding pot holes, having to takes driveways/ramps in an angle and not straight on, zig zaging over speed bumps, attempting to avoid road cracks or imperfections, and even slowing down and possibly slowing others down too at times or even going out of your way to pick a longer router that has smoother roads.

If any of the above seems displeasing to you...then you somewhat screwed yourself by buying FF coilovers especially to start with and should've gone with something softer.

THIS is MATURE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. I now know what I needed to know. Thank you for your mature answer! All the rest of you little assholes can kiss my ***. You're not affecting me none. I'm not listening to you, I'm listening to those who actually want to give information and help.

Thanks again. /thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back