F&F Type 1 - worst investment ever! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

haoleflip

Reaction score
I've had these things for like 3 months now and more days go by where I hate it more and more. I guess the low life is really something you have to get used to or something, but it's not working for me. Half of the reason could be that I live in Colorado, but I'm in the city not the mountains. I guess the streets still suck down here too. I just hate the ride quality now. I bounce on every small bump I hit and my car feels off balance or something when driving sometimes depending on the terrain. If I hit a bigger bump it sounds and feels like my car is going to break in half lol. If i hit a series of bumps when going over 40 it feels like my car is going to bounce into the other lane or something lol. I also hit a pothole too hard about a week ago and cracked the inner wall of one of my rims, so now I have a slow leak and have to fill up air every morning until I can get it welded or something. I am just having bad luck with this whole thing lol. I am willing to keep trying to make adjustments and get used to it. I do have some questions. First, does anyone have any adjustment or measuring tips that would ensure a better ride quality? Do all coilovers produce the same ride quality? If not, what are a good brand to get that would give better ride quality, but still cost around the same as these F&Fs were? Also, how much can I sell my used F&Fs for? Any offers?

Last edited:

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
Teins would be your best bet for ride quality but are more pricy. I also have ff Type Ones but i love them! I'm not positive on this but I think the lower you go the worse your ride quality gets, so try raising it? I'm not sure on that though, you might try to research it. Also check out the suspension review thread for what other people think about their setup

Narftastic

Reaction score
You hit a pothole and cracked the rim, so that's the coils fault? No.

The bounce that your experiencing is most likely the stiffness that 99% of coils come with, alot are stiffer.

Driving over huge bumps n potholes is your fault... When you lower a car avoiding potholes is part of the low life.

Before you go and say how "horrible" the coils are you gotta think about how you drive and what bouncy vs stiff is.

Seems like you just aren't ready for the low life.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
^^ he hit the nail right on the head.

Youre not bouncing, youre experiencing a stiffer suspension.

And why the fk would you drive straight into potholes and imperfections in the street ??? I live in LA where the streets are probably worse and im fine. Only complaint from me is ive had 2 blown shocks from them on 2 different sets. Otherwise, you need to learn how to drive low. Youre obviously not ready for coilovers yet.

haoleflip

Reaction score
I knew the "you're just not ready" posts were coming. The fact is, I am a great driver. I have a perfect record. No speeding tickets or accidents (knock on wood). I take my time on the road. I definitely don't purposely run into potholes, but you obviously haven't driven where I live. Now I don't know how careful of a driver you have to be, but I take the same exact route to work everyday. When I veer off of that route it's horrible and half the time it feels like I'm sitting on a trampoline while kids are jumping on it. I don't know if I don't have them adjusted correctly or if the preload is correct or what, but the ride is real bouncy. And yes, the cracked rim was further supported by the stiffness of the shocks and the lack of travel on impact, thus causing a harder connection.

Last edited:

lashlee

Reaction score
I'm not going to get into the debate over how, why or what went wrong with the wheel but I will say that I've had cheap coilovers on an integra, Neuspeed lowering springs on OEM struts, the same springs on KYB struts and now have Tein SS-P's and think that they ride the best out of what I have experience with. I am a firm believer that you will get what you pay for, and if you pay a little less just be prepared to live with the sacrifices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back