P0705 and P0706

Souryu

Reaction score
Hey guys

My car has been throwing this code for a year now and in the course of the year I've replaced my neutral safety switch (correctly btw) and cleared the code but it comes back.

The code states that I have a short in my transmission range sensor but I was told it was the neutral safety switch but I was apparently wrong to replace it.

Where is this transmission range sensor located at so I can fix it?
(I've done extensive searching and can find nothing on how to fix this at all)

FNCONE

Reaction score

That's in V6 Model, IF you know how to use a multimeter maybe you can find the short with continuity. Also just check for stripped wires along the range switch. The switch is covered by a plate.

Souryu

Reaction score

That's in V6 Model, IF you know how to use a multimeter maybe you can find the short with continuity. Also just check for stripped wires along the range switch. The switch is covered by a plate.

Unfortunately I have a 4 cylinder. I've already replaced the neutral safety switch/Transmission range sensor once and the codes are still being thrown. maybe it's not the switch but the harness it connects to?

FNCONE

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have a 4 cylinder. I've already replaced the neutral safety switch/Transmission range sensor once and the codes are still being thrown. maybe it's not the switch but the harness it connects to?

Ok cool you have the 4 cylinder model. I was just showing you for reference. The switch is on the tranny. (Obviously yours will be on the left facing the car because you are i4)

Thats why I asked if you can use a multimeter and check for nicked or stripped wires on the harness. If the code states a short, wires are touching each other or touching metal. Which should blow a fuse?... Also does your car show the gear you are in? Like D R N on the cluster? Ive read that if the switch is fine but your VSS is bad the ECU gets a mixed signal ( Thinks your Driving because you are on D but no signal from the VSS) and that will set the code off.

Let me know if your car shows you the PRND on your cluster and if you MPH work correctly.

Find A multimeter if you can

Souryu

Reaction score
Ok cool you have the 4 cylinder model. I was just showing you for reference. The switch is on the tranny. (Obviously yours will be on the left facing the car because you are i4)

Thats why I asked if you can use a multimeter and check for nicked or stripped wires on the harness. If the code states a short, wires are touching each other or touching metal. Which should blow a fuse?... Also does your car show the gear you are in? Like D R N on the cluster? Ive read that if the switch is fine but your VSS is bad the ECU gets a mixed signal ( Thinks your Driving because you are on D but no signal from the VSS) and that will set the code off.

Let me know if your car shows you the PRND on your cluster and if you MPH work correctly.

Find A multimeter if you can

Interesting, the neutral safety switch I replaced was inside of the wheel well on the front right and had a cover over it that I had to take off first.

I have no issues getting into gear, the gear im in is displayed correctly on my cluster but sometimes there's a bit of lag when I shift into reverse. My reverse lights also work too. I just hate that I have the code and that it keeps showing up. I just want my CEL off because I've fixed so much and want to be done for a bit.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Interesting, the neutral safety switch I replaced was inside of the wheel well on the front right and had a cover over it that I had to take off first.

I have no issues getting into gear, the gear im in is displayed correctly on my cluster but sometimes there's a bit of lag when I shift into reverse. My reverse lights also work too. I just hate that I have the code and that it keeps showing up. I just want my CEL off because I've fixed so much and want to be done for a bit.

That sounds about right, its under a small metal cover.
The thing with the VSS is just something I read about your code. So your MPH works correctly also?
Try testing the cables for shorts, sorry I couldn't be of better help.

Souryu

Reaction score
That sounds about right, its under a small metal cover.
The thing with the VSS is just something I read about your code. So your MPH works correctly also?
Try testing the cables for shorts, sorry I couldn't be of better help.

Well I appreciate you at least attempting to help, thank you very much for that. Everything works correctly (speedo, shifting, reverse lights, everything), if I use a multimeter, how should I go about testing the circuit if you dont mind me asking?

FNCONE

Reaction score
Put the multimeter in continuity, put one lead in a pin and the other lead touching a clean ground point....then in each other pinout to see if anything is touching. If it beeps you have a short.. BUT iirc park and neutral are combined no matter what

FNCONE

Reaction score
Just checked ALldata P and N are not combined so there should be no continuity between them

Back