4cyl MT swap questions

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
i have the f23a5 nonvtec auto, do i need a ECU from a non vtec or will not having vtec already be one less thing i need to worry about?
and i found a running 96 accord with a manual for 800, is it safe to assume that i can pull everything i need from that and source the CG only parts and ill be set?
is there anything that would be better if bought new like bolts or anything like that?
im fairly mechanical and competent with tools (did swapped struts and springs, headers, cleaned IACV, that kinda stuff) but never swapped an engine or trani before, is this swap something that could be done in a weekend with a friend who has worked on cars before?

Snoobly

Reaction score
search around the forum a bit. There is an answer for everything you asked. You can source almost everything you need for the swap from that 96 accord, but there are some things that are generation specific and engine specific. Such as the axle, shifter linkage, etc..

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i have the f23a5 nonvtec auto, do i need a ECU from a non vtec or will not having vtec already be one less thing i need to worry about?
and i found a running 96 accord with a manual for 800, is it safe to assume that i can pull everything i need from that and source the CG only parts and ill be set?
is there anything that would be better if bought new like bolts or anything like that?
im fairly mechanical and competent with tools (did swapped struts and springs, headers, cleaned IACV, that kinda stuff) but never swapped an engine or trani before, is this swap something that could be done in a weekend with a friend who has worked on cars before?

I would recommend getting the ecu that matches your engine. you would defintely have a few error codes with a vtec ecu

the f22 tranny will work, you will just need the right axles, mounts ect that are CG specific parts

I bought a new starter and i wish i bought new flywheel bolts, but other than that, everything else is fine used. just clean and double check everything before tearing the car down

if you have a friend and no major issues, than you can do it in a weekend. I took a week, but i did alot of other things with the swap as well

good luck

thatklazzickid

Reaction score
thanks, the real reason i made a thread was to find out about the ecu. i was pretty confidant about the other stuff, just wanted to make sure. damn, sourcing that nonvtec manual ECU is gonna be a pain i think :/

Back