Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > General > Off Topic > Tech, Gadgets, and other Geekdom

Tech, Gadgets, and other Geekdom Discussion of console games (Xbox, Playstation, Wii etc) and computer-related topics, gadgets, phones, etc etc

Register to remove these ads

Old 06-19-2015, 05:36 AM
Points: 20,718, Level: 43 Points: 20,718, Level: 43 Points: 20,718, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Sil2DrV6 is more helpful than most
Re: Finally...

Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
I’m kind of to this point with games where I’m more interested in remakes than new releases. Some new games are great, but I’d get far more satisfaction from seeing games (like FF II, III, or Chrono Trigger) that were made in times of limited technology remade today with how far consoles have come. Seeing some of the old games realized with today’s capabilities would be incredible. And they are all guaranteed cash cows, the good ones anyway.

I love FF II, but FF III is great too…I’m playing the PS remake of III right now. Never got to play the SNES version, but at local vintage game stores copies go for good money.
I remember I was fascinated to play these earlier series in NES & SNES b/c they were the originals. (No such remakes going on in 80's 'n 90's anyways, but more like playing top hits from the arcade conversions at home.) And being a kid at the time, I was able to fully feel empathetically in the RPGs, unlike any other type of video games lol.

FF or Dragon Quest series was my first RPG that got me really into playing video games. In JPN, people lined up in front of the stores like the Black Friday up here, every time when the new series is released; It was from elementary school kids to fully grown up adults lol. Yeah, it all depends on how games are targeting player's age generation, but I would also love to play some of those NES/SNES remakes w/ crazy HD CG graphics. Chrono Trigger; That's a good one. I remember that the characters were designed by the author of Dragon Ball, and it was popular in the market. There's a remake of FF6 from SNES on PS1 as FF3 in US?? Didn't even know that haha.

Originally Posted by Varnell View Post
I imagined the motorcycle chase scene in CG's. lol

I've been an FF fan since first playing FFVII. I've never posted anything video game related on the forum since I had no idea you guys played.

The FFVII remake isn't a remaster like FFX HD, but an actual remake by a third party company other than Square. While disappointing, it's probably best to keep Square away from the game since most of the staff responsible for the early success of the FF series has left the company.

In my initial excitement I thought I may have to buy a PS4 for this game, but the trailer states that it will "come to PS4 first." I honestly doubt it will come to Xbox like FFXIII, but a PC release on Steam seems obvious after the success of the Final Fantasy ports already on Steam.

Obviously nothing has been announced as far as gameplay or story. With the spinoffs since FFVII's original release, I imagine they'll try to incorporate, or at least hint at Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus. I highly doubt they'll take many risks with gameplay changes.
Which scene? b/c there's a lot lol.

I'd want to buy a PS4, if Gran Turismo 7 comes out, and that's of course if I can kill my mod bugs for quite a while lol.

To me, my impression of FF is: more cartoonish characters, theme of crystal, Cid being involved in the story, "realistic" looking monsters / enemies / Guardian Forces, etc. such as FF1 ~ FF7 & 9. It's cool that they've been changing out the size of the characters to life-size since FF8, 10 ~ present. And this remake FF7 as well. But, to me, it kinda looks like these newer series are getting "too realistic", and it reminds me of seeing some of the scenes from Starwars movie haha. I felt like I was playing the FF series that I knew, when I was playing FF9.

Last edited by Sil2DrV6; 06-19-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Be a better driver

Points: 73,177, Level: 84 Points: 73,177, Level: 84 Points: 73,177, Level: 84
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

RedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit together
Member Photo Albums

Some juicy links…

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/squ...x-ff7-why-now/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/fin...-not-100-same/

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/19/squa...ting-that-age/

The FFVII remake isn't a remaster like FFX HD, but an actual remake by a third party company other than Square. While disappointing, it's probably best to keep Square away from the game since most of the staff responsible for the early success of the FF series has left the company.
Hmm where did you see that? From what I’ve read Square is responsible for remaking the game, and even some of the original FFVII staff are on the project. That was actually why they chose to finally remake it, because the youngest of them (Tetsuya Nomura – character designer) is 45, and that if they were going to do it now was the time since they’re only getting older.

Obviously nothing has been announced as far as gameplay or story. With the spinoffs since FFVII's original release, I imagine they'll try to incorporate, or at least hint at Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus. I highly doubt they'll take many risks with gameplay changes.
I agree, one of the links above alludes to the fact the game won’t be 100% the same. They said that just updating the graphic and streamlining the gameplay wouldn’t do a remake justice, so they want to do more. Makes me a little nervous, but since the project is led by some of the original staff I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt. And they’ve said they were committed to doing the game right, and that they will take their time.

I wonder if they’ll do anything different with Aerith.

Originally Posted by Sil2DrV6 View Post
I remember I was fascinated to play these earlier series in NES & SNES b/c they were the originals. (No such remakes going on in 80's 'n 90's anyways, but more like playing top hits from the arcade conversions at home.) And being a kid at the time, I was able to fully feel empathetically in the RPGs, unlike any other type of video games lol.
Every Friday night in highschool I’d spend the evening playing FFVII on my brother’s PS…I definitely got emotionally invested in the characters.

FF or Dragon Quest series was my first RPG that got me really into playing video games. In JPN, people lined up in front of the stores like the Black Friday up here, every time when the new series is released; It was from elementary school kids to fully grown up adults lol. Yeah, it all depends on how games are targeting player's age generation, but I would also love to play some of those NES/SNES remakes w/ crazy HD CG graphics. Chrono Trigger; That's a good one. I remember that the characters were designed by the author of Dragon Ball, and it was popular in the market. There's a remake of FF6 from SNES on PS1 as FF3 in US?? Didn't even know that haha.
That’s interesting how different the video game culture is in Japan than here. I don’t think it’s as common for adults to be gamers in this country. Of course, I guess that depends on how you define “adults” lol. I’m 32 and still play games.

Yeah, though I think it’s more of a port than a remake, but there is added content. I have Chrono Trigger, FF 2 (IV), FF 3 (VI), and FF 5 in PS format that I’m playing on PS3. For example, there are added cinematic sequences for 2 (IV).

To me, my impression of FF is: more cartoonish characters, theme of crystal, Cid being involved in the story, "realistic" looking monsters / enemies / Guardian Forces, etc. such as FF1 ~ FF7 & 9. It's cool that they've been changing out the size of the characters to life-size since FF8, 10 ~ present. And this remake FF7 as well. But, to me, it kinda looks like these newer series are getting "too realistic", and it reminds me of seeing some of the scenes from Starwars movie haha. I felt like I was playing the FF series that I knew, when I was playing FF9.
I think I know what you mean by characters looking too realistic. When they start to look too much like a normal human being they aren’t as interesting. That’s what I thought about XIV, just looked like a bunch of regular dudes lol. My biggest issue with FF characters is when they have too many women or children in playable roles, or just when there is a general lack of badasses lol. This was one of my beefs with XIII….Lightning was ok, and Snow was tolerable. But children like Vanille were annoying as hell, and Hope was just baggage. Sazh was forgettable at best.

One of the reasons people love the older FF’s imo is that most of the characters are mature and kind of dark, and badass. The greater majority of playable characters in 1,2,3,7, and 8 all fit that description, I never played 9 but 10 had enough of them to keep me going. X-2 was just a girl party lol. Don’t know about XII. I will admit though, I absolutely hate Cait Sith in 7…he is like the Jar Jar Binks of FF. He was always the PHS benchwarmer.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:57 AM
Points: 20,718, Level: 43 Points: 20,718, Level: 43 Points: 20,718, Level: 43
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Sil2DrV6 is more helpful than most

Some juicy links…

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/squ...x-ff7-why-now/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/fin...-not-100-same/

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/19/squa...ting-that-age/

Hmm where did you see that? From what I’ve read Square is responsible for remaking the game, and even some of the original FFVII staff are on the project. That was actually why they chose to finally remake it, because the youngest of them (Tetsuya Nomura – character designer) is 45, and that if they were going to do it now was the time since they’re only getting older.

I agree, one of the links above alludes to the fact the game won’t be 100% the same. They said that just updating the graphic and streamlining the gameplay wouldn’t do a remake justice, so they want to do more. Makes me a little nervous, but since the project is led by some of the original staff I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt. And they’ve said they were committed to doing the game right, and that they will take their time.

I wonder if they’ll do anything different with Aerith.
I don't know if age really matters to be creative in their industry, but it is indeed a very good timing for the remake to be able to fully expand their data contents to this next-generation hardware platform.

I'm guessing that Aerith's cinematic sequences will be added more, b/c her scenes were important, but they were a little rough for being dramatic by those polygon graphics at the time of PS1.

Every Friday night in highschool I’d spend the evening playing FFVII on my brother’s PS…I definitely got emotionally invested in the characters.
I remember in high school I was more into action games.

That’s interesting how different the video game culture is in Japan than here. I don’t think it’s as common for adults to be gamers in this country. Of course, I guess that depends on how you define “adults” lol. I’m 32 and still play games.

Yeah, though I think it’s more of a port than a remake, but there is added content. I have Chrono Trigger, FF 2 (IV), FF 3 (VI), and FF 5 in PS format that I’m playing on PS3. For example, there are added cinematic sequences for 2 (IV).
I'm a few years older than you, but most of my friends in US in my age (semi-to fully-grown ups lol) play video games, so don't feel bad.

I see. Kind of like the FFIII in Nintendo DS then. Good to know. I really liked the FFV (FF5) which you could change the character's profession.

I think I know what you mean by characters looking too realistic. When they start to look too much like a normal human being they aren’t as interesting. That’s what I thought about XIV, just looked like a bunch of regular dudes lol.
This is really bringing me back my good old time and memories. I thank you for that lol. What I really meant to say was:

It's funny that our eyes are getting spoiled by looking at all of these crazy looking HD CG graphics in video games. From what I felt, FF series w/ 2-dimensional graphic (I ~ VI) were limited / difficult to show the character's emotional touch, those tiny little sensitive facial expressions of the characters, not to mention that it probably required a massive amounts of data (time and effort) into the production of a software when it became 3-dimentional in PS1. I felt like it was the coolest thing to watch those expressions in their CG sequences, drastically more clear since FF8 (w/ characters being full-sized except for 9) to this day, and those expressions were crucial for the FF gamers to be emotionally attached to the characters imo. However, once it became very common in our eyes, one would say that not only these current FF series, but newer games in general are starting to look no different than the real thing in a TV show. (At least to me, it looks like there's a baseball game going on in a TV from a dining table, when someone is playing a baseball game on PS3 in a living room lol.) I lost track of playing video games after PS2, so I can easily feel that way maybe. But when you're playing, it's the coolest thing on the other hand haha.

My biggest issue with FF characters is when they have too many women or children in playable roles, or just when there is a general lack of badasses lol. This was one of my beefs with XIII….Lightning was ok, and Snow was tolerable. But children like Vanille were annoying as hell, and Hope was just baggage. Sazh was forgettable at best.
Same thing for musicians in general imo, but when things create a sensation, they tend to become more popular by targeting more different types of fans. (I.E. shifting away from heavy metal to pop music like Linkin Park.) That is probably the reason why there are varieties of playable characters in FFs. Haha I have no problem of dealing w/ not-so-badass characters or dangle-dolly ones, b/c they can be more badass sometimes, especially when you level them up accordingly w/ their exclusive battle equipment!

One of the reasons people love the older FF’s imo is that most of the characters are mature and kind of dark, and badass. The greater majority of playable characters in 1,2,3,7, and 8 all fit that description, I never played 9 but 10 had enough of them to keep me going. X-2 was just a girl party lol. Don’t know about XII. I will admit though, I absolutely hate Cait Sith in 7…he is like the Jar Jar Binks of FF. He was always the PHS benchwarmer.
I like the older series, particularly III b/c it was my first RPG I ever finished when I was a child haha. But yea you're right, there're some dark low-key characters but kick ***, like Squall in 8 lol. I felt like 9 was the comeback of the earlier series like I ~ VI b/c the characters weren't full-sized in the game and, most importantly, the black mage was one of the characters. XI is the online web-based series, so it's very different. XII was the one I felt like seeing Star Wars, I remember lol. I usually don't hate any characters in any of their series, but I get irritated when characters are keep dying in a big battle, especially after a long journey from the previous saving point.

Last edited by Sil2DrV6; 06-21-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:19 PM
CG6 obsessed

Points: 4,845, Level: 20 Points: 4,845, Level: 20 Points: 4,845, Level: 20
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

capsidx is somewhat reliable
Member Photo Albums

We're still waiting for this. What is square enix doing lol. Lets hope they make us wait this long for a disappointment. FF7 is probably one of the best games ever made. There was so much depth, between finding the other two weapons, searching for hidden materia, chocobo racing and other games at the golden saucer, my god the nostalgia lol. Sorry for reviving a dead thread. I guess its still relevant though as the game is still in production lol.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Be a better driver

RedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit together
Member Photo Albums

For real. They keep saying once Kingdom Hearts 3 is done they can focus more on Remake. Honestly I just want them to do this game right, it is my favorite game of all time so it's too important to mess up or rush haha. I will wait for as long as it takes, which knowing Square, will be a while.

Man I loved the materia system...the colors, the "ching" sound when you equipped it, that flashing rock on the screen, and when you searched and found a good one it made you feel like you had accomplished something haha. But yeah, so much nostalgia...I invested myself into the story and the characters (except Cait Sith who I hated), so when significant things happened it had an effect on me. And so much time invested into breeding that gold chocobo to get Knights of the Round.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:43 PM
CG6 obsessed

Member Photo Albums

For real. They keep saying once Kingdom Hearts 3 is done they can focus more on Remake. Honestly I just want them to do this game right, it is my favorite game of all time so it's too important to mess up or rush haha. I will wait for as long as it takes, which knowing Square, will be a while.

Man I loved the materia system...the colors, the "ching" sound when you equipped it, that flashing rock on the screen, and when you searched and found a good one it made you feel like you had accomplished something haha. But yeah, so much nostalgia...I invested myself into the story and the characters (except Cait Sith who I hated), so when significant things happened it had an effect on me. And so much time invested into breeding that gold chocobo to get Knights of the Round.
Never got nights of the round although once I finally beat the turks underground I can move on with my life. I also dont want them to remake it. I want them to give us the same exact game, more content and current graphics. Maybe tweak the battle system a little because sometimes the AI is OP, attacking you 6 times before you get to pick fight. And you cant tell me you didnt cry when you thought cait sith died. Only game to ever make me cry lol I dont care what anyone says.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Be a better driver

Member Photo Albums

I am with you, I mean the people that played this game in the late 90's are the reason it has the following it has, the reason for all the spin-off games and movies. And those people love it because of what it was, so yeah just freakin give us what we want and reproduce the exact same game with more content (Aerith revival would be cool maybe), tweak some elements that were slow or clunky, add advanced graphics, and composed musical arrangements. Personally I prefer turn based battles when it comes to RPG's over action oriented, I like entering all the commands and watching it all play out, etc where in action oriented battles I just feel like I am button mashing. I just don't feel like there is as much strategy with that. But I know the ATB concept is outdated and dying, still I guess I'm old fashioned and enjoy it.

Anyway I know they are trying to appeal to younger gamers and people who have never played it, which in a way is good, but I just worry they are changing it too much and it will change the feel of the game, therby eliminating the nostalgia effect it may or may not have had. But I am trying to be open minded. I just think they should be catering more to the people that made this remake happen in the first place. But hey if it ends up blowing me away with awesomeness, then whatever.

Uhhh when Cait Sith died, no fux were given...I mean I hated that big dopey jackass. I never used him in the PHS, he was like the jar jar binks of Final Fantasy for me. But when Aerith was killed, I was PISSED. And quite sad haha. But yeah that game really stirred your emotions if you got into it. Which I did, every Friday night in highschool for several hours.

Another thing I am curious about is the world map...I know that is a huge and daunting thing to try and recreate with new graphics, animation, etc. But that's what made old RPG's great, getting out of the initial setting and then out into the open world. That's what makes it feel like an adventure. If you don't have that, you get a boring linear game, like FFXIII. Or maybe there was one, I didn't make it because I hated it so much I quit playing and sold it out of disgust haha.

Last edited by RedRyder; 01-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:39 PM
CG6 obsessed

Member Photo Albums

I am with you, I mean the people that played this game in the late 90's are the reason it has the following it has, the reason for all the spin-off games and movies. And those people love it because of what it was, so yeah just freakin give us what we want and reproduce the exact same game with more content (Aerith revival would be cool maybe), tweak some elements that were slow or clunky, add advanced graphics, and composed musical arrangements. Personally I prefer turn based battles when it comes to RPG's over action oriented, I like entering all the commands and watching it all play out, etc where in action oriented battles I just feel like I am button mashing. I just don't feel like there is as much strategy with that. But I know the ATB concept is outdated and dying, still I guess I'm old fashioned and enjoy it.

Anyway I know they are trying to appeal to younger gamers and people who have never played it, which in a way is good, but I just worry they are changing it too much and it will change the feel of the game, therby eliminating the nostalgia effect it may or may not have had. But I am trying to be open minded. I just think they should be catering more to the people that made this remake happen in the first place. But hey if it ends up blowing me away with awesomeness, then whatever.

Uhhh when Cait Sith died, no fux were given...I mean I hated that big dopey jackass. I never used him in the PHS, he was like the jar jar binks of Final Fantasy for me. But when Aerith was killed, I was PISSED. And quite sad haha. But yeah that game really stirred your emotions if you got into it. Which I did, every Friday night in highschool for several hours.

Another thing I am curious about is the world map...I know that is a huge and daunting thing to try and recreate with new graphics, animation, etc. But that's what made old RPG's great, getting out of the initial setting and then out into the open world. That's what makes it feel like an adventure. If you don't have that, you get a boring linear game, like FFXIII. Or maybe there was one, I didn't make it because I hated it so much I quit playing and sold it out of disgust haha.
All my friends like the new FF. I cant understand why. I have to admit when aerith died I was literally like this I swore revenge although I never made it that far lol. I loved the vehicle system for the world map as well. Sub, airship and buggy. It was seriously one of the greatest games ever made. The battle system needs to be revised in my opinion. Ever fight emerld weapon? I made the mistake of crashing into him with the submarine. Did 20,000 damage to two characters in one turn, I did a few thousand and then bam 20,000 more and game over.

Oh and an autosave system. I can not stand when you dont save it and you lose to some enemies casting toad and you lose everything. Other than that I like the world map idea with the miniaturized cities. Lets hope square delivers. I remember someone showing me game-play peeks and the battle system was pretty much like crisis core.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Be a better driver

Member Photo Albums

I don't get that either, my other problem with XIII was the characters sucked. The lighthearted young child warrior characters asian culture seems to love annoy the hell out of me. Selphie, I think her name was in XIII, wanted to make me claw my eyes out. Then there was that Hope kid, he was just a mopey *****. Square used to have such cool badass characters in their RPG's. I haven't played XV though, have you?

I've made it to the last area of FFVII on PS1, PC, and again on PS3, but I have never actually beaten the game. Yea the multiple forms of transportation were a nice touch, you always appreciated new ones because you could access new areas. I never fought Emerald, I remember watching videos on how to do it though. I think he's the hardest one? I want to say I fought Ruby, but can't remember. Either one takes massive amount of planning and strategy...not sure I have the patience haha. Can't imagine a painstaking battle taking 20 minutes and near the end I make one wrong move and I'm dead or something.

Autosave would be nice. I probably spend a lot of time saving by the time all is said and done, I am a little OCD about it haha. Speaking of time spent...I think the most I ever put into the game was 87 hours or something. Oops.

I agree the battle system does need to be updated somewhat, it is a little slow and clunky. I think I read once the system used in Crisis Core is widely lauded so I'm sure most people will like Remake's.

I hope all the original cinematics are included and just updated. I loved watching those.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:37 PM
CG6 obsessed

Member Photo Albums

I don't get that either, my other problem with XIII was the characters sucked. The lighthearted young child warrior characters asian culture seems to love annoy the hell out of me. Selphie, I think her name was in XIII, wanted to make me claw my eyes out. Then there was that Hope kid, he was just a mopey *****. Square used to have such cool badass characters in their RPG's. I haven't played XV though, have you?

I've made it to the last area of FFVII on PS1, PC, and again on PS3, but I have never actually beaten the game. Yea the multiple forms of transportation were a nice touch, you always appreciated new ones because you could access new areas. I never fought Emerald, I remember watching videos on how to do it though. I think he's the hardest one? I want to say I fought Ruby, but can't remember. Either one takes massive amount of planning and strategy...not sure I have the patience haha. Can't imagine a painstaking battle taking 20 minutes and near the end I make one wrong move and I'm dead or something.

Autosave would be nice. I probably spend a lot of time saving by the time all is said and done, I am a little OCD about it haha. Speaking of time spent...I think the most I ever put into the game was 87 hours or something. Oops.

I agree the battle system does need to be updated somewhat, it is a little slow and clunky. I think I read once the system used in Crisis Core is widely lauded so I'm sure most people will like Remake's.

I hope all the original cinematics are included and just updated. I loved watching those.
It seems like after kingdom hearts (which I hate) every character that comes from square is like that kid with the keyblade. I know asians love that but they're not the only ones who play the game. I think what I loved the most about FF7 that no matter what, every character was connected to eachother. Even sephiroth was once a huge part of clouds life. Watching him unravel was almost heartbreaking because you felt his pain. Then you understood why he was doing what he was.

Every thing about that game was legendary. Then FF8 came out and that was also great. Good characters, different but not too different but way to easy to get lost. I also feel like only a handful of people have beaten the game. It requires a lot of planning but theres so much depth that even to this day, very few games offer this kind of immersion and replayability. I do think video games now are pretty good graphically but as far as entertainment goes theyre mildly fun at best before you turn it off after an hour.

I mean look at resident evil 2&3. Best zombie games ever IMO. I dont see left for dead or any other zombie game being as good as RE. I dont know if its because were nostalgic or because we grew up with these games but I feel like games have gone downhill significantly.

I do agree the cutscenes were awesome because they helped break up all the text based chat. They need to add dialogue in the new one but they have to be careful who they pick because there is a lot of dialogue. As far as cutscenes I dont think there was supposed to be any dialogue in the cutscenes but in the regular grind there really should be. If they do that with a few tweaks and updated graphics the game would be perfect.

AS far as playing any new FF I havent even considered it. I was watching my friend play the one with the flying card and it was so stupid I stated watching something on netflix lol. I did however go back to the original Gran Turismo recently and buy all the civics and accords