Question Abour Auto Cluster On Manual Car...

chiaxi2002

Reaction score
Okay, so I have an auto cluster on a manual car. For some reason my CEL & Man. lights don't blank when I turn the key. Everyone says even though you don't have a CEL in effect you still see the light turn on for a few seconds before going away. I checked both bulbs and they seem to be fine.

Another question I have is where is my ECU located? What kinda ECU am I suppose to have? I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX Sedan manual with a f23a1. And last question is is it possible to swap the ECU with another cars ECU? I've heard that the honda key has a chip in it, but not 100% certain.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
ECU is on the passenger side up under the dash. You can swap your car's ECU, but I don't see why you would. People who swap their ECU's are the V6 auto guys who swap the tranny and take the ECU from the donor car. What's your reason?

And yes the Honda key has a transponder.

finch13

Reaction score
Huh? The 4banger ECU is right behind the ABS unit in the dead center of the dash. Pull the carpet back in both footwells, unplug the 3 connectors on the passenger side, remove 2 10mm bolts, slide out passenger side.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Does ur car run? A cel that doesn't illuminate usually means the ecu has no power, blown fuse, bad bulb or bad ecu.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Finch is right, sorry. I should have said it's accessed from the passenger side.

chiaxi2002

Reaction score
Does ur car run? A cel that doesn't illuminate usually means the ecu has no power, blown fuse, bad bulb or bad ecu.

My car runs fine and everything, but the CEL doesn't flash when I turn the key and also my car doesn't rev pass 4,500k rpm (No CEL on for this also)...

Also, with blown fuses will my car still be able to run or no???

finch13

Reaction score
My car runs fine and everything, but the CEL doesn't flash when I turn the key and also my car doesn't rev pass 4,500k rpm (No CEL on for this also)...

Also, with blown fuses will my car still be able to run or no???

BadgerType will tell you that you indeed do not need the ECU for the car to run. Even if the light is "off", you can still check for codes. That would have been step 1 no matter if the light is on or off.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
worse three days of my car modding life right there

but i can't tell you what fuse you would have blown. IF all the lights and gauges are working EXCEPT for those 2 THEN i would say you have a small gremlins somewhere

but check your fuses first, then come back. ALL OF THEM. you would be surprised what other componets use just the windshield wiper fuse

Back