HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 9/30/2018!!]

Accord_J30A

Reaction score
Re: HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 4/22!!]

Glad you got your car back. Congratz!!

JOEYSACCORD

Reaction score

nice job on ur car/instalation..do have fibration prob. from the flywheel???how much was it for the flywheel/clutchnkit?

HomerJay

Reaction score

No increased vibration due to lightened flywheel. It does take a bit of time getting used to the flywheel from a starting/shifting perspective. The sound when starting the engine is a bit different than before; I write that off to the flywheel. Otherwise, besides needing a bit more gas when starting from a stop, it's not much different than before. Faster shifts tend to be smoother.

The flywheel was $190 and the clutch kit was $260.

GCv6accorD

Reaction score

im sorry to see that ur car caught on fire.... i know u must of been tight.....:furious: but at least she back now... and looking sexier then ever...

ps: i been searching and searching and i can not find a web site for those black out head lights... if u dont mind can u tell me were u got urs from?????

HomerJay

Reaction score

im sorry to see that ur car caught on fire.... i know u must of been tight.....:furious: but at least she back now... and looking sexier then ever...

ps: i been searching and searching and i can not find a web site for those black out head lights... if u dont mind can u tell me were u got urs from?????
Thanks. It was quite a shock to come out and see her in that condition, that's for sure. And if it's not one thing, it's another...have to replace the passenger's window because someone felt the need to put a rock through it last week...:furious:

I don't know where I first found the thread on blackhoused headlights. I think it was here on 6th Gen. I pretty much followed the procedure from here:

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/housings/index.php

Other than I used a heat gun instead of an oven to heat the butyl rubber to separate the headlights.

I used Nissan OEM sealant (butyl rubber) to seal the headlights back up after painting the inside parts (basically the front piece; not the reflectors):

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5577

You only need one package. If I were to do the headlights again, I'd buy one box of this and cut it down the middle so that instead of one rather thick rope, I'd have two thinner ropes of the rubber. One box is plenty for two headlights.

BlackestCoupe

Reaction score

Duuuude, that sucks. I feel for you and I hope you get your accord up and running again

HomerJay

Reaction score
Misfire!

It's been a while since I've changed anything too major. Most work has been oil changes, etc. since doing my clutch for the second time last year (due to a leaking crankshaft seal).

About a month ago, while driving to work my CEL came on indicating a cylinder 4 misfire. Took a look around that weekend and thought maybe I was leaking oil from a poorly seated valve seal. Hooked up the air compressor to take off the valve springs and air rushed out the exhaust manifold. The cylinder simply couldn't maintain pressure like the other cylinders.

At this point, I realized I will have to venture into my engine further than I ever had before. Time to take the cylinder head off...:ughrun:

It was immediately clear that something different was going on in cylinder 4:

PA020508.jpg

When I flipped over the head, it was obvious why she was misfiring and why I couldn't pressurize cylinder 4:

PA020514.jpg

PA020518.jpg

Since the head was off the car, this was a chance to fix the exhaust stud that I broke off when changing exhaust manifolds. I temporarily filled it with some fake metal filler:

PA020515.jpg

In order to rethread the hole for the correct threads, I got a Time-Sert thread repair kit and threw the head on my drill press:

PA020520.jpg

:eek:

I used the old manifold as a template to make sure I drilled in the right place. In the end, it shook quite a bit on the drill press so the hole was a bit too large for the standard sized Time-Serts. Thankfully, they have larger inserts for repairing holes that were already repaired. After the head came back from the machine shop, I fixed the threads with a bigger insert:

PA080550.jpg

Given that this is not "routine" maintenance, I picked up a complete set of new valves. Dropped them off with new valve seals at the machine shop and I got back essentially a new head...so pretty!!...

PA080540.jpg

PA080544.jpg

Since I needed a new intake gasket anyway, I picked up a Bisimoto thermal gasket instead of OEM (also got extended SS studs from King Motorsports):

PA080551.jpg

Also got Unorthodox underdrive pulleys while I had the pulley off:

PA160580.jpg

While waiting for the next weekend to arrive (so I could install the cylinder head and finish the job), I sanded the lettering on my newly painted valve cover:

PA120578.jpg

And since I didn't want all the new parts to be related to the problem, I picked up some "fun" ones, too...a set of Corsport shift cable bushings:

P9200495.jpg

PA080555.jpg

I wasn't planning on an obvious difference since I already have the PSPEC shifter. The difference with the bushings is night and day...:driving:

In the end, I did get her back together. It took some time but it was worth it in the end. It did take a while for the idle to steady as the coolant was completely drained from the system. The idle fluctuated a good bit until the day after the initial test drive.

The list of all parts replaced is more significant than for any other job I've done:

• New valves and valve seals
  • Valve job and resurfacing
  • Head gasket
  • VTEC O-Ring
  • IACV O-Ring
  • Water valve
  • Radiator hoses (ALL; including the small "bypass" hoses)
  • Heater hoses
  • Thermostat
  • Front balance shaft seal
  • Camshaft seal
  • Crankshaft seal
  • Time-Sert repaired exhaust stud threaded hole
  • Bisimoto Thermal Intake Gasket (Upgrade)
  • Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley Set (Upgrade)
  • Corsport Shift Cable Bushings (Upgrade)

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 10/23/2011!!]

damn this is one clean ride. i like your engine work. :boink:

Ch1R

Reaction score
Re: HomerJay's 2001 Accord Coupe EX (56K) [UPDATED 10/23/2011!!]

Even fires and misfires wont stop you! haha i love that spoon valve color :ohyou: haha, i wanted to paint mine yellow aswell.

Back