Gas range

datechboss101

Reaction score
On the lines of fuel pump, I think our cars have a fuel filter somewhere near the fuel tank... So should I replace the fuel filter? Maybe that could possibly clear things up a bit and increase the range and MPG.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
On the lines of fuel pump, I think our cars have a fuel filter somewhere near the fuel tank... So should I replace the fuel filter? Maybe that could possibly clear things up a bit and increase the range and MPG.
No, because the fuel filter in 98-02's IS in the fuel tank.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Lol I think the 120mi/half tank (again, rough estimate considering I don't really pay attention to mpg) has more to do with my driving...

Yes, it can be how you drive, or even your route. A friend of mines wife gets crappy mileage on part of her daily commute, due mostly to about 10 miles of it being stop and go traffic.

Accordx

Reaction score
Yes, it can be how you drive, or even your route. A friend of mines wife gets crappy mileage on part of her daily commute, due mostly to about 10 miles of it being stop and go traffic.

Yeah considering most of my driving is going for cruises or being in traffic it would make sense, I'm at about 150 miles on a half tank after a lot of city driving tonight

datechboss101

Reaction score
Yeah considering most of my driving is going for cruises or being in traffic it would make sense, I'm at about 150 miles on a half tank after a lot of city driving tonight

So basically anywhere between 150-180 miles is the half tank mark right? I get 180 at half tank with only pure city driving (my route, I hit around 10-15 signal lights, one way).

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
So basically anywhere between 150-180 miles is the half tank mark right? I get 180 at half tank with only pure city driving (my route, I hit around 10-15 signal lights, one way).

Yes and no. Think about this for a minute The fuel tank is 18 gallons , that means every 1/4 tank is approximately 4.2 to 4.3 gallons each. That's IF you could get it all, but you can't, as there's usually 1 to 1.5 gallons in the bottom that don't get picked up. Those would be with the fuel light on, and the gauge below E. but if you go out and run the car down to about the 1/4 tank mark, you'll only put in 13 gallons (12.9 or 3 sets of 4.3 gallons) using some rough calculations. So a half tank is equal to 8.6 gallons. However, the top of the fuel gauge/tank is larger than it appears, and the bottom 1/2 of the tank burns quickly. So if you're getting 120 miles out of 8.6 gallons, that means you're getting roughly 13.5 mpg. Now if you're getting 150 miles out of 8.9 gallons you're getting about 16.85 mpg. Not very good when you look at it like that.

Accordx

Reaction score
Yeah 150 isn't great, I was also on the gas a decent amount so I'm not surprised. Love the sound of the cold air intake too much to not get on it every once and a while :love:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Agreed, 150 isn't very good. If you can 200 or better in the 1st half a tank, you're doing ok to good. When we'd go on road trips, I'd fill it up, then we'd go to 1/4 tank. Every fill up was 13 gallons, or very close to it. The thing is, on a road trip you're moving along at a "steady state", and not doing a lot of stop and go (unless you live in So Cal), so you're not hauling the car to a dead stop, and you're not having to launch it again. Those things hurt fuel mileage the most (hard launches). Now, if you lived in parts of Missouri for example, some of those hills would require the trans to downshift several times just to get over them. I've been on I-44, and yes, that state kills my "average" fuel mileage because of the hills you cross going across the state. Normal will be 26-27, while going across there it drops to 23-24 due to the hills. The only real good thing for me, is watching the price of gas drop as I go from east to west across the state. That usually makes up the difference in my mpgs.

Sorry if I insulted or if you feel insulted if you're from Missouri, but I was just using it as an example as to how terrain can have an effect on fuel mileage.

Last edited:

datechboss101

Reaction score
My route usually has anywhere between 10-15 signal lights (apparently there is a signal light every 1/2 mile or so) and the average speed limit on the route is 45 MPH. However, the MPG I'm getting is 23 MPG (including the use of A/C and going between 3000 and 4500 RPMs) and 25 (if I go under 2500 RPMs and don't use the A/C).

So according to you guys, my gas range and MPGs are fine.

Back