clear coat for bare aluminum (?)

xluben

Reaction score
any suggestions for coating bare aluminum for added durability?

dynasty

Reaction score
what are you trying to do exactly? i'm not sure if clear coat would actually stick into aluminum. unless you primer and then clear coat it, it MIGHT work but not positive.

xluben

Reaction score
bare aluminum shift knob.

i'd like to stop if from tarnishing.

AFAccord

Reaction score
I'm interested as well. Hoping to find out how to clear coat parts for the "black laquer" finish like the PSPEC shift knob. I know the knob is powder coated and polished, so I won't be able to do the same to plastic pieces...

xluben, I know that clear acrylic enamel will stick to bare metal, though not sure what it would feel like. If you did enought coats, you could wet sand it and polish it, but I'd be concerned about getting a 'sticky' feeling, or scratches.

Last edited:

minituck04

Reaction score
or polish it and use zoop seal. had that on some billet wheels. keeps em for you having to polish again

talonted1990

Reaction score
They make a new powder for bare metal. If you get it polished and then powdercoated with the new clear for bare metal I am sure it wont tarnish again, unless you chip it.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Clear coat will pretty much always take away the luster of polished alumminum, spray can atleast. I wouldn't recommend it. If it isn't polished, no point. The other thing about clear coating alluminum is that you can ever polish out again if it isn't perfect. Well, without stripping. I'd just zoop seal it.

xluben

Reaction score
not an issue any more. i went with a phenolic knob instead of the billet alum:

shiftknob021Small.jpg

not a very good pic, but it's like an 8 ball without the 8 and a bit smaller.

i'll try to take a better pic when i have light.

ryon527

Reaction score
with bare aluminum you would want to clear anodize it. you could hard coat anodize it but the hard coat causes a slight tint.

Back