DIY Evap Canister Change - P1457

HomerJay

Reaction score
Got the code last Wednesday, ordered the parts that day figuring the code would stick around and it's one I'd want to fix relatively quickly. And this past weekend, the CEL cleared on its own. Oh, well...207,000 miles on her so I'll just replace the parts anyway. Seems like an easy enough task.

Update: I spoke too soon. Same CEL code came on this morning on the way to work. It's just as well, I suppose. At least the parts I ordered are actually needed and won't just be for preventative purposes.

Last edited:

Accord914

Reaction score
I just did this to my car not too long ago! I thought i had a leak in the hoses and gas cap but was this! Thanks for the write up

ShiftShapa

Reaction score
Something to add in here that i have found is that some people tend to pump gas passed the "fill" mark where the trigger stops a couple times over. This extra gas causes alot of pressure in there and gas in there continues to shuffle around going into random places. Ive read that could be a a reason IF all else is fixed.. (Smoke test cleared, and solenoid , cvs and bypass valve) Some have changed everything yet the 1457 still comes on.

pjnofrills

Reaction score
First off, thanks OP for the write-up. I had brought my car in to a shop in NY when I first took ownership in March of 2012 to get the CEL cleared so I could pass inspection. They ended up replacing:

Valve, 2 way
Valve Set, Solenoid
Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

It came back on about 1000 miles later. I used your guide and replaced the canister set and vent shut valve about 6 months later. Everything was fine for a long long time, but the stupid light came back on yesterday out of nowhere. I cleared it and put 100 miles on and it hasn't come back on. Is this just going to be an intermittent problem, or is there something horribly wrong?

pjnofrills

Reaction score
Just found out my light came back on because the hose became disconnected. Must have hit a snow bank or a chunk of ice. Thanks again, OP.

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
I will add to the thanks to the OP for this thread, even though I haven't tried it yet, I am pretty sure this is my problem.
I have a 98 LX sedan I just bought about 2 weeks ago, and it has thrown the 1457 code a couple times now. Of course the guys up at autozonedout that read the code for me told me it was the gas cap. Now that I have a real good idea what it is, and not too hard to fix, I bet my problem will be solved soon! :)

Back