Power issues?!

Spxnerd

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So the other day I was driving when all of my instrument cluster lights lit up. I smelled something weird then checked all my fuses and replace them as a precaution since I didn't know what was wrong. Today, my car wouldn't start and needed a jump. I just got a new battery about a year ago so I was thinking maybe it's my alternator. And it seems every time I press on the gas the SRS lights up then goes off after 3 secounds I release it and then when I started my car again all of that instrument lights came on again and then my headlights would go out then come back on and go out randomly. Anyone know what's going on? Sounds like something electrical, but I have no idea where to start.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if by the cluster lighting up, you mean all the little warning lights and whatnot coming on...like when you start the car...then its most likely your alternator and it would need to be replaced...especially since your battery is only a year old and its not getting a charge.​

Spxnerd

Reaction score
if by the cluster lighting up, you mean all the little warning lights and whatnot coming on...like when you start the car...then its most likely your alternator and it would need to be replaced...especially since your battery is only a year old and its not getting a charge.​

I was thinking that too.. And it seems my battery is dead today so that's probably it. Do you happen to know what years odyssey alternators will fit in a 98 v6 accord?

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
I've heard other stories on here similar to yours and 4/5 times it's the alternator

Zen

Reaction score
Hate to sound like a broken record but it sounds like the alternator. Similar situation recently happened on my mothers car. It drained the battery in the process and the battery needed charging as well after i replaced the alternator (and belt).

*note this is chrysler sebring*

Spxnerd

Reaction score
Thanks guys, just got it replaced at a junkyard. They said it was overcharged? so it won't work anymore. Since it was a family friend, they freaked out when I told them I was looking for an 2002 Odyssey alternator. They kept blurbing on about the output is too high, blah blah blah, but I had to go back to work so I let them put in another OEM rebuild. Good thing its close to free, so I didn't mind much.

Spxnerd

Reaction score
New problem? This car is starting to annoy me. When I try to start the car in the morning, it generally cranks and takes a long time to turn on, or I have to stop and recrank it for a while for it to start. If I leave the car off for a while, it takes a bit longer to start, otherwise it will start normally.

I didn't have this problem prior to getting my alternator swapped. If it's the battery, I thought it would be charged after driving it, could it be possible the cranking amps went down? or since it wasn't being charged by the alternator before and it died, messing up its capacity? Or maybe the ignition going bad?

And I've been getting a high pitched noise after getting it fixed as well. If I accelerate fast enough, the noise will go away, but if slowly or just coasting, it will be there. I was thinking its probably the belts, but is it kind of odd since it happened after they swapped it alternator?

Back