DIY Paddleshifters on F23A1?

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
So this may well be a Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.. The question is whether I can control the transmission with buttons? I can't find much about how these transmissions work, but it looks like it is computer controlled to just actuate shift solenoids. I should be able to then just actuate the solenoids using buttons is my idea but some ideas on this would be awesome.. Maybe throw a switch on to stop the computer from switching the solenoids on and off so that I'm the only one controlling them, like a manual override of sorts.
Anyways, hopefully someone knows whether or not this will work, and even links to articles about this transmission's inner workings would be great!

Thanks,
Justin

leftfieldpapi

Reaction score
Sounds like a lil rice but I would go for it and I support it lol... That would be a dope mod to see. I mean newer Lincolns like the MKZ use actual buttons for their tranny, and i know new chryslers/dodges use a dial type button selector. So why not some paddles on the honda? I think it is doable, but you might need a donor system from a tsx or something honda with paddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably more work than what you want to put into it for zero gain in...well anything.

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Probably more work than what you want to put into it for zero gain in...well anything.

Yeah that's what stopping me from following around all the wires and trying this out right now, not worth it... Wish it was a manual but it's still nice and quick. I recently added a potentiometer to the map sensor to make it run a slight bit richer whenever I want better performance; expecting minimal gains I turned the knob a few degrees and noticed a huge difference!

Little off topic for this thread, but has anyone looked at the cam timing for these engines and seen that the intake valve stays open for 36* of the compression stroke at high RPM? Looks a lot like an atkinson cycle to kill off compression!

Connie

Reaction score
selttijcmanit;1100518I recently added a potentiometer to the map sensor to make it run a slight bit richer whenever I want better performance [/QUOTE said:
Haha that's funny. I used to do that to the FPR in my Hyundai Accent to get it through emissions with a split catalytic converter when they used to sniff cars instead of just scan them.

You probably voided your warranty. lol. And things might not last as long. But its and old beater. Please keep going hahaha.

And how's mom? Tell her I say hi.

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
And how's mom? Tell her I say hi.

I don't get this bit lol but yeah hahaha pretty sure the warranty is out whichever window still rolls down .. Also added a switch panel to toggle all the lights on and off, that way if I'm speeding and see a cop he won't know I've hit my brakes :D

I'm amazed by the lack of aftermarket for this engine, it isn't a horrible platform if not for the single camshaft! Tried making my own crude ECU for it using an Arduino a while back, but indirectly controlling the MAP with the potentiometer is much less overcomplicated! Still want to finish the ECU however so that I can vary ignition timing and control injector duration; also knowing A/F with the O2 sensor would be handy.

capsidx

Reaction score
I tried to build my last f23 and realized it would be cheaper to do a motor swap than piece together the old single cam. That's my suggestion. Everyone told me to do a swap for more power, f23 is a great motor if you have unlimited funds. I never wanted to hear those words but since i've done the H23 swap I haven't looked back. For the amount of money I put in to doing the swap I only would have been halfway towards my WHP goal for the f23. Just my loose change .

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
I tried to build my last f23 and realized it would be cheaper to do a motor swap than piece together the old single cam. That's my suggestion. Everyone told me to do a swap for more power, f23 is a great motor if you have unlimited funds. I never wanted to hear those words but since i've done the H23 swap I haven't looked back. For the amount of money I put in to doing the swap I only would have been halfway towards my WHP goal for the f23. Just my loose change .

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I agree, especially with how many, much better, engines Honda has made.. I went to the scrap yard two days ago because everything was half off; grabbed a nice turbo to slap in it to make as much WHP as she'll suffer lolol. Will make ~10.7PSI at 6000RPM, but I won't ever get there because I don't want to blow it up!
The turbo was 30.00$..... We'll see how this goes but I'm definitely stoked to see what it can do; today got started on cleaning it up, making a parts list, painting the intake side, learning all about prerequisites for turbocharging, calculating cylinder PSI while under full boost and mocking up the plumbing. The goal is to avoid intercooling so that no one will know it has a turbo, which means water injection at higher pressures.. Anyways, I'll keep you all updated!

selttijcmanit

Reaction score
Lolz, totally forgot I put that! I definitely will keep going though, might try out an injector mod for higher flow pretty soon because there are probably 15 f23a1's at the scrap yard and injectors are cheap!!

Back