Frankensteins Official Thread

capsidx

Reaction score
Alright guys, car is finally put together and running strong. Had to do the timing belt 4 times to take out the slack and change out all the seals on the timing side. The front main seal was chewed up and leaking really bad. Now I am happy to report the car is leak free and pulls way harder than the old single cam. The power band is super linear, due to lack of vtec I suppose. Im still surprised how nimble the car is without any variable valve timing.
Anyways I have to re wire the o2 sensor and mess with the idle air control valve but other than that the idle is stable and the car runs great.

L5lmHsu.jpg

NSWDoc

Reaction score
Alright guys, car is finally put together and running strong. Had to do the timing belt 4 times to take out the slack and change out all the seals on the timing side. The front main seal was chewed up and leaking really bad. Now I am happy to report the car is leak free and pulls way harder than the old single cam. The power band is super linear, due to lack of vtec I suppose. Im still surprised how nimble the car is without any variable valve timing.
Anyways I have to re wire the o2 sensor and mess with the idle air control valve but other than that the idle is stable and the car runs great.

L5lmHsu.jpg
Good looking headers...[emoji848]!

capsidx

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while. Today I got the surprise of a life time. Was headed to work in my mint H23a1 powered accord. Got on it for a second and heard grinding and the car shut off. I was able to pull over and heard dripping. Great. Brand new H swap threw a rod. After sinking 2 grand into this motor I am done with H series period. I never had issues with the F23 and it was a solid motor. Time to go back to basics and grab a low mileage F23 for a fraction of the price of an H22. Thought about H22 seriously, However, I cant afford to drop another grand on a motor when I can just get a lightly used JDM f23 for like 4 and change.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while. Today I got the surprise of a life time. Was headed to work in my mint H23a1 powered accord. Got on it for a second and heard grinding and the car shut off. I was able to pull over and heard dripping. Great. Brand new H swap threw a rod. After sinking 2 grand into this motor I am done with H series period. I never had issues with the F23 and it was a solid motor. Time to go back to basics and grab a low mileage F23 for a fraction of the price of an H22. Thought about H22 seriously, However, I cant afford to drop another grand on a motor when I can just get a lightly used JDM f23 for like 4 and change.

WOW, that sucks.
Are you going to do the swap over Christmas-New Years?

capsidx

Reaction score
WOW, that sucks.
Are you going to do the swap over Christmas-New Years?

I usually do swaps pretty quick. The H23 swap took like 3 months because I ran out of money but it only took me like a solid week to put in the engine and wire everything up. This time im going to be smart. Im just going to buy a new engine harness and a "low mileage" jdm f23a. I have so many parts for the F23 so missing anything wont be an issue. I know this motor so well so, I should have it in and running in a few days. I plan on doing the swap after new years because of the money issue lol.

In my experience, which has been horrible, the H motor was garbage. I changed all seals on the timing side. Changed the front main twice and it still leaked. Changed the valve cover gasket twice. The fact that the H series are ticking time bombs with the oil cooler ring, FRM cylinder walls which apparently burn tons of oil are making me shy away.

That and the fact that they cost significantly more than the F series and J series. I spent 2 grand on the H23 swap. For what? Beat on it a few times and it throws a rod? Motor had less than 20k. My old F23? I beat on it DAILY and never had an issue. I missed 4th and went to second at 100 mph. Didnt have any problems until about a month later from a spun bearing but that motor was awesome. Had a ton of miles too.

So the new plan is toss the M2s4 tranny on the F23 for shorter more aggressive gearing and maybe boost in the near future. Sorry for the long post but that H23 got me so mad lol.

NSWDoc

Reaction score
Because civilians

Last edited:

capsidx

Reaction score
Ok guys, damaged is assessed. Looks like a connecting rod failure. Ill try to upload pictures but basically the rod broke, destroyed the girdle, crankshaft and actually broke a piece of the cylinder off. There is no way to rebuild this. So it looks like F23 it is. Im curious as to why this rod broke though. It actually broke in 4 places but that could be because the crank chewed it up.

Back