*UPDATED*Ulev 5 speed swap pros needed.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
UPDATE: so I got the vss issue sorted. Turns out I had to jump a pin on my ecu. However my mechanic said I needed a normal o2 sensor in the bank 1 for a 5 speed rather than an air/fuel sensor even though I have a ulev ecu. So can anyone confirm this ??? Also is 1.3 ohms too high for a ulev o2 sensor ?

So I had my 5 speed swap done and just got my ecu flashed today. Now I have a vss cel and a bank 1 o2cel. Nw I know I need to rewire the vss but what's with the o2 ? Is my o2 just bad ? Or is it something with the swap ? I have a 99 lx sedan ..

Last edited:

agginline86

Reaction score
Re: Ulev 5 speed swap pros needed.

So I had my 5 speed swap done and just got my ecu flashed today. Now I have a vss cel and a bank 1 o2cel. Nw I know I need to rewire the vss but what's with the o2 ? Is my o2 just bad ? Or is it something with the swap ? I have a 99 lx sedan ..

ULEV/SULEV uses a wideband primary o2 sensor
other f23s don't

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Re:*UPDATED* Ulev 5 speed swap pros needed.

I know. What I was saying is I didnt need any special ulev o2 right ?
Also ivw been searching for a vss but cant find any for a manual transmission .. is there a such thing or do I just have to rewire what I have ?!

Last edited:

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score

I know. What I was saying is I didnt need any special ulev o2 right ?

Also ivw been searching for a vss but cant find any for a manual transmission .. is there a such thing or do I just have to rewire what I have ?!
My car was ULEV / 5spd swapped before I bought it, and my VSS broke about 3 months after owning it, so I went to the JY and pulled a VSS from an F23A1 5spd CG. It fit into the trans seamlessly, but the plug side for the engine harness was shaped differently. I found an automatic F23A4 (ULEV) a few days later, pulled the VSS from that car and it works perfectly in my car with no CEL. The only drawback is that I don't have cruise control, which I honestly don't miss since I live in a relatively urban part of NJ and didn't ever use it anyway. Hopefully that helps you somehow!

Chris Vu

Reaction score

Interesting. I wonder why I'm getting a CEL then ? My speedometer works, reverse lights work, everything is working fine, and yet I'm getting a CEL for the VSS and O2 .. but I think my O2 sensor might just be out lol. But now I don't understand the VSS issue. Shouldn't I be able to use the auto vss I have now rather than one from a 5spd ?

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score

Interesting. I wonder why I'm getting a CEL then ? My speedometer works, reverse lights work, everything is working fine, and yet I'm getting a CEL for the VSS and O2 .. but I think my O2 sensor might just be out lol. But now I don't understand the VSS issue. Shouldn't I be able to use the auto vss I have now rather than one from a 5spd ?
Hmm, well since I'm doing the same thing, idk why an A/T VSS wouldn't work in your M/T like it does for mine.. could it possibly be a voltage issue in the connections? While I was trying to diagnose my non-working speedo the first time it happened, I came across that as a possible answer. Take a voltmeter to each of the 3 prongs and see what kind of readings you get! I saw the actual numbers somewhere on here while searching, but I can't recall exactly which thread/section.

Chris Vu

Reaction score

Update. Still need help.

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
I too did a swap on a ULEV and I ended up having to get a 2000 EX Non-ULEV 5spd ECM from someone selling one on here. There was a write-up on how to repin the wire for the O2 sensor in order for it to work, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work therefore I just got the 5spd ECM. As far as the VSS I ran a wire from the sensor thru the firewall and pinned to either the ECM or multiplexor. Unfortunately I sold the car and cannot remember where/which it was pinned. I got all my info from here, so do a search and hopefully you will be able to solve the issue. Good luck!

Back