*C*L*U*N*K* - Confirmation needed please

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently encountered a clunk when I let go of the gas. It sounds like a hollow thud, almost identical to the one made when going over transitions in pavement on the highway. I do not have a sound clip at the moment, but I can try to get one if needed. I suspect it may be the engine mount. I took a look and noticed a crack in the rubber. Could this be the reason causing this noise, and how dangerous is it as it is right now? Here are pics:

img8011.jpg

img8012t.jpg

img8013v.jpg

Thank you all!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
More than likely. Have a friend rev the car (in neutral preferably) and see if the engine moves excessively.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I'll try that thanks man!

This actually started happening after my engine damper situation. I installed an NRG damper, but soon came to find that the bracket on it broke - just snapped in 2, where it was bolted to strut tower. Could this have been caused by the motor mount being torn like that? Or did the tear in the motor mount occur because the damper bracket abruptly snapped? The sound only started occurring after the engine damper bracket snapped. Any input or comments appreciated.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
might wanna check the rear mount too. that one doenst look too bad, but is definately on its way to going out.

Drift

Reaction score
Just get a wrench on all the mounts and crank the **** out of them.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
replace all your mounts if possible ... only replacing one mount is going to put more stress on the rest of them and they will end up needing to be replaced anyway ... my brothers 88 civic use to thud like crazy when i would put it into reverse ... i never encountered a problem other than it being annoying and the feeling like crap ...

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Yes just replace all of the mounts at once, because the others do go bad pretty quick after just replacing one. I would just get new mounts all together. The innovative mount kit is fairly nice, strong, and durable if your looking for an upgrade....

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's probably what I'm going to do, when I get money. I'm broke now haha. Innovative mounts sound perfect! How bad is the vibration with those? Would it be just as effective to get 5thgen poly bushings and put them in my OEM 6thgen mounts?

Back