$830: Mechanic wants to do my distributor for $830!! ahhhh

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
You should be able to fix it yourself. New rotor, cap, wires and plugs and a new cam shaft position sensor is not a hard job.

That shop is bending you over hard because you are a young uninformed individual

SupraGuy

Reaction score
The only tricky thing with replacing a distributor is making sure that you clock it correctly on install.

I have not done one on this particular car, however:

Generally it's easiest to get the orientation correct if you turn the engine to #1 TDC/Compression. This gives you a definite reference point for where you want the replacement distributor installed. The rotor should point at (Or just past) the #1 spark plug contact point. Take pictures, so that you can compare when the new dizzy is installed.

I'd say that anyone with any kind of mechanical DIY experience should be able to do this job with a basic socket set for tools, maybe a screwdriver, and possibly a metric wrench set. A distributor is also a part that I'd probably be okay with obtaining from an auto wrecker, in part because it's so easy to change. (Get new O ring seals though.) I would probably want a new cap and rotor though.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
The distributor will only go on the cam one way, there is no way you can screw it up. I can guide you threw it (with pics) with my h series head, cam and distributor set up its all sitting on a bench at my shop its pretty much the same thing.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replacing a distributor on one of these is like an hour, tops, by yourself, with a ratchet and a screw driver in your garage or driveway.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Maybe some of the extra labor is for their time spent finding a good YouTube video showing how to do it.

trillobite

Reaction score
trillobite: Don't jinx me man. jk . I thought posssible main relay but he said not. That looks easy to fix. Here is what the invoice says.

" Scan computer systems associated with active light and record codes. Check for technical bulletins, recalls or other manufacture notes. Monitor system and check any faults. Test all fuses, wiring, and relays, control modules, and other items connected to the fault. Advice on repairs needed to address customers concern. -- intermittent no start, cranks okay. We found the during the crank no start condition fuel pressure was good but there was no spark present. We test the distributor and found the dwell out of check indicating it needs a new housing. A scan of the computer system also found the crank/cam position sensors have an intermittent fault. With both of these issues we recommend a complete distributor replacement fixing both issues with one part. "

Word for word from invoice.

I am under the impression that a complete distributor replacement is not all that difficult to replace, so this is actually not all that bad of news. Take pictures when you have had success! Then come back to the mechanic, and slap one picture on his desk with a note: "$800+... REALLY?" :waytogo:

SupraGuy

Reaction score
The distributor will only go on the cam one way, there is no way you can screw it up.

You certainly can on the Supra, lol. It sits at 90 degrees to the cam, and it's a cam position sensor for the distributorless ignition on the turbo model. The normally aspirated one gets an actual distributor, so you can't mess up any plug wires. Anyway, neither here nor there.

Actually, found a YouTube video, and it appears that you could get it 180 degrees out, but it's so simple to fix if you manage to do that. Nice.

Anyway, just looked at Rock Auto for what it should cost you to do this. Looks like the dizzy itself should come in under $100. Maybe a bit over that shipped. Looks like there's an option with a new cap, rotor and gasket set already installed for a bit more, I'd probably go that route.

Back