Brake system problem, dont even know what im looking at!!

boorishid

Reaction score
Ok so let me start by saying im not the best mechanic in the world but i love my car i love working on it. I drive pizzas im hard on it. Im 26 years old and i quit my career as an union electrician to go back to school for engineering. Well i recently decided i dont want to do that it sucks. Im currently investigating into getting on at a honda dealership and changing oil and going through tech program. I would love to be a master tech good money too! And when i helped out at a shop before i would still come home and work on my jeep (traded in that piece for this spas car but it looks sooo nice and it fits my tall ***, i will have this accord forever)

I love working on cars i helped at a shop for a long time never had a bad day, work on all my friends cars when i can. I just think its peacfull. My gf of 3 years recently left me becuase shes 21 and im 26 and shes not ready for the things i want, so all i have now is my car i work on it all the time just wish i had more money :).

Anyways sorry for the all the bs above just feeling lonely and talkative. Last night i was under my car changing tranny fluid. Realized there was something leaking bad. I dont tolerate that ****! My car is at 140k (bought it at 10k 4 years ago not even payed off) and the engine doesn't have a spec of grime for real, take very good care of her. Problem is idk what it is thats leaking im assuming it is a slave cylinder or something to do with the abs....

I love cars and engines but i dunno anything about brakes except how to do a pad slap and change a rotor. Im very bad ive never changed my brake fluid. Hell i dont even know how to bleed them which i know im an idiot and thats bad bad ive never bled them out. Well anyways besides the leak now my BRAKE light is stuck on, the light just came on last night, actually it comes on every once and a while when its real cold out but then goes off after a few minutes. So last night while shifting through the gears to get the new fluid through the tranny i noticed while holding the brake down it would intermintantely start hissing, the sound is coming from the pedal. And now when i let off the break i get a lil fshh sound. And sometimes when i just hold it down and go through the gears it keeps hissing till i let off, even after last night. I opend the master cylinder and pumped for a while but that didnt help anything. My first challenge is i dont know what the part even is that is leaking.... like i said im not a huge fan of things break related, so i took some pics maybe someone cant point me in the right direction

Ok heres the top down view
IMAGE_132.jpg

This is how bad its leaking on the underside of the car
IMAGE_133.jpg

This is how much fluid is everywhere!! i think on the axle
IMAGE_134.jpg

This is the part i belive the leak is coming from the thing with all the brake lines coming out dunno what this is?? slave cylinder something abs related like i said im not break expert.
IMAGE_131.jpg

So ya if anyone could tell me what that part is so i could look through haynes manual, also if anyone knows how much of a pita or money pit this is gonna be would be appreciated.

Ok so right now im getting some megan springs off a guy and plan on setting up my suspension and upgrading my brakes anyways before i start going on my quest for a tranny swap and na build.

First of all let me explain my situation my car is driven 150 mile a night in town and on a marine base with stop signs every block. My rotors are so fed up from driving my pads down to the metal and such. I have 4 way discs. I seriously do about 6 front pad changes a year and 1 back pad change every two years. I want breaks a better system number one so i dony have to keep changing my pads and number two so i can stop faster. My overall goal in this car is A 400whp build or close, ill be happy with 350 to 400. I plan on making that power all na and with a 200 or bigger direct port nitrous kit. So i also want to be able to stop with all that power and a heavy *** car. my idea is

4 slotted or drilled rotors (i live in the desert so i think drilled would be better to keep heat down and dust out) Anyone have a good idea i want wants with as little weight as possible but best soping potential. I dont really know if i ever plan on going past a 15 inch rim (undecided for multiple reasons wanna keep it sleeper rim weigh cost could go to better things like pistons) so im guessing whatever rotors i choose are gonna have to be the same diameter of the stock in order to fit in the wheel.

Stainless steel break lines, These kits are alot, not sure if there worth it.. i know there suppose to provide better stoping power brcuase they dont expand or something but will i really see a huge enough diffrence to at least half way justify the cost?

Calipers... How about two piston calipers, i cant find the site but i saw a place selling two pistons calipers for our cars powder coated to your color choice. Is this just overkill?? And if so how about caliper covers i cant find brembo covers to fit our car but have found other ones that are suppose to, if neone knows where to get brembo lemme know please ive searched alot, Are covers just bling or do they serve a purpose of keeping the calipers a little more protected?

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Re: Break system problem, dont even know what im looking at!!

First of all, don't drive that car until you figure out what the problem is and fix it.

Second of all, I wish I could help but I don't really know what I'm looking at here, some better pics would be helpful.

lithiumus

Reaction score

That's a lot of fluid. What do all the fluid reservoirs look like? Are any of them showing low? If this is brake fluid, don't drive it until you've figured it out. Since you do some work on your own, you may be able to figure it out.

The hissing sounds could be due to the fluid not holding brake line pressure. If it's the same sounds as when you pump the brakes when the car is off, then it's just the master cylinder pump.

The unit where the hard lines are hooked up look like it could be the ABS modulator but I can't tell 100%. Jack the car up and find the highest point where the fluid is and that is likely where the leak is. You MUST locate the leak before you do anything else and repair that first. All your efforts should be focused there.

Once you've figured out where you "think" the leak is coming from, wipe it all clean and watch for new fluid. Could be a hard line that is leaking.

boorishid

Reaction score

well if it helps those hardlines are down low under the master cylinder twords the center sticking out the firewall at an angle an that whole unit seems to be leaking.

checked the res it looks fine a lil low but no huge deal acually

HondaLuver83

Reaction score

It looks like you took a picture of your steering rack and pinion? Need better pictures, not so close to the car so I know where in the engine bay Im looking at.

Last edited:

boorishid

Reaction score

ill get one up by tonight its day time so i can get it from under the hood better right now

nyknick1015

Reaction score

is it leaking on one side and not the other? When that happened to me, the bleeder valve wasnt tightened properly and it got fluid all over the place. Check that first before anything else. It could have just gotten all over the place from heavy braking and turning the wheel in and out.

boorishid

Reaction score

Where is the bleeder valve? the pix i took in the day light are no help honestly... Basically what is leaking is right behind the pedals there is a huge angular cone thing coming out of the firewall under the brake booster to the left a smige and on he end there is something with brake hardlines attached... thats whats leaking dunno what it is or anything about any bleeder valve down there.

I added some break fluid and the hissing went away, i intend to clean the whole mess up with degreasser when i ge some time to get the car back on jack stands, so i can pinpoint the leak a little more. probably tommrow night. I am also planing on going to bisimoto for some advice tuesday never been but im hoping i can pick up an IM gasket once i have the whole im off to replace the gasket ill take some more pics by then i should be all nice and clean so the exact leak should be more obvious.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First..it's brake...not break...

What color is the fluid? Are you actually low on brake fluid? Sorry to be a dick here but I dont wanna hear your life story, tell us whats wrong the the car and we'll help you fix it. I don't need to read a novel everytime you have a problem.

boorishid

Reaction score
i was a little low till yesterday i added a very small amount, the fluid id like greenish as i said it does need a flush. but i described in my longer post ive never taken care of the breaks to much... so its sord of about containing the damage. I plan on doing a full flush and bleed.. but that might be usless until the leak is fixed.

Back