DIY - Steering Wheel Swap: S2000, RSX, EP3, Insight (with cruise control wiring!)

VancouverAccord

Reaction score
The purpose of this DIY is to teach you how to install an S2000 steering wheel on your accord with fully functional cruise control, horn and most importantly airbag. This DIY also applies to RSX, EP3 and 1st gen Insight wheel swaps, as they use the same wheel with different grips and airbags.

Perform this DIY at your own risk. Airbags are a crucial safety component of your vehicle. These airbags can also be very dangerous if not handled properly. I take no responsibility for any harm you may cause to yourself or your vehicle. Read the full DIY before attempting anything. If you do not feel comfortable with this procedure DON’T DO IT.

Before you buy an expensive new steering wheel do some research as to which wheels have single stage airbags and which have dual stage airbags. Some people have also swapped the single and dual stage explosive charges. If you choose to, do so at your own risk.

IF YOUR SRS LIGHT IS ON NONE OF YOUR AIRBAGS WILL WORK

Here is a list of the ones I know that are compatible with 6thgen accords:

Single:
98-00 Accord
99-00 TL/TL-S
JDM ITR DC2
00-03 S2000 AP1
04-05 S2000 AP2
02+ JDM ITR DC5
02-04 JDM CTR
Accord Euro-R
99-06 Insight

Dual:
01-02 Accord
01-03 TL/TL-S
01-03 CL/CL-S
02-06 RSX DC5
06+ S2000
02-04 Civic SIR EP3
01-05 Civic
01-06 MDX

My new wheel.

IMG_2657_zps92e4d759.jpg

Now lets begin!

1. Make sure your wheels are straight. Then with the key out of the ignition lock the steering wheel to one side. This keeps the wheel from moving while you preform the swap.

2. Take a picture of the position your steering wheel is in. This is important for reference when lining up the new wheel. Unless you enjoy my DIY so much that you want to do it all over again.

3. Disconnect your battery and wait 10 minutes for the SRS system to discharge. This is very important to avoid accidental airbag deployment. Take a break, you deserve it.

4. Remove 3 plastic covers on both sides and bottom of stock steering wheel exposing Torx screws and the airbag connector.
IMG_2660_zpsef9a74d1.jpg

5. Disconnect horn and airbag connectors. ALWAYS STAY OFF TO THE SIDE AWAY FROM THE AIRBAG WHILE DOING THIS.
(Pic of the connectors after the airbag has been removed)
IMG_2663_zps0a9d35e0.jpg

6. Remove T30 TORX screws from both sides, these will be reused.
IMG_2661_zpsbba8b9ab.jpg

7. Gently pull out the stock airbag while guiding the wires through the bottom and place it to the side with the “H” up. DO NOT PLACE FACING DOWN.

8. Unplug the cruise and if you have it, radio controls.

9. Loosen the 14mm bolt at the center of the wheel. Only loosen a little bit. Pull hard on the wheel till it breaks loose and is stopped by the bolt. You can also rent a steering wheel puller to make this easier but I found this to be unnecessary.

10. Remove the bolt and slowly pull the wheel the rest of the way off while guiding the wires through the opening. You will now see the cable reel. DO NOT SPIN THIS.
IMG_2664_zps583d5c85.jpg

11. Slide on your new wheel using your picture from Step 2 to align it correctly. Guide the wires in through the opening as you do so. Don’t worry if it won’t go on all the way, when you tighten the center bolt the wheel will be pulled down.
IMG_2665_zps69b3f1e3.jpg

The cruise control plug on the S2000 wheel is not the same as the accord one. Accord uses a 4 pin connector and the S2000 uses a 5 pin connector. You will need to de-pin and swap the connectors. Both use 3 wires but the order of the wires will change. This is a comparison of the accord (bottom) and S2000 (top) cruise switches.
IMG_2659_zps83b3af08.jpg

12. Take a picture of the of the order of the wires on both connectors just in case.

13. Flip up the plastic wire retainer on the accord cruise connector as shown here
IMG_2670_zpsda65efc9.jpg

14. Gently pull and wiggle the wires one at a time till they are all free of the accord connector.

15. Do the same for the S2000 connector.

16. Re-insert the accord wires into the S2000 connector in the order shown here, and then flip down the wire retainer. Gently pull on the wires to ensure they are locked in place.
IMG_2673_zps3a72f19b.jpg

17. Connect the horn wire to the tab shown here.
IMG_2678_zpsa06ab9a1.jpg

18. Connect the cruise plug to the switch. I found it easier to plug in the connector by run the wire behind the horn/airbag support shown above. I also had to remove the cruise switch from the wheel to make it easier to plug in. Make sure you push on the horn/airbag support while watching to ensure the wires won’t get pinched when the horn is depressed.

19. Install center bolt and tighten to 29 ft lbs.

20. Place the S2000 airbag on the wheel while guiding the airbag wires through the opening at the side.

21. Tighten the T30 Torx bolts on both sides to 7.2 ft lbs.

22. Plug in the airbag connector and clip it in as shown here. AGAIN, STAY CLEAR OF THE AIRBAG.
IMG_2679_zpsf86c8d6c.jpg

23. Re-install the two plastic covers on the S2000 wheel.

24. Re-connect your battery.

25. Turn your key to II in the ignition. STAY CLEAR OF THE AIRBAG. If you have done everything correctly your car should now turn on the SRS light for a few seconds then it will turn off as it normally would.

26. Now test the horn and then go for a drive to test the cruise. FYI you have to be going a certain speed before cruise will engage. I wasted a bunch of time checking my wiring when all along I just wasn’t going fast enough.
IMG_2674_zps921e0302.jpg

Congratulations, you can now do what you want with your old “Mini-Van” steering wheel and enjoy your sportier and more comfortable wheel.

Also if anyone’s wheel came missing the plastic side covers like mine and don’t want to pay the $20 each that the Canadian dealers wanted; the covers from RSX and EP3 wheels also have the same part numbers and are much easier to find at a junk yard. I got mine for $1 each. DC5, EP3, S2K and 1st gen Insight all have interchangeable airbags, cruise switches and wheels, allowing for hybrid wheels. (i.e. S2k perforated wheel with EP3 airbag and RSX cruise switch)

Last edited:

ParisiOT

Reaction score
Re: DIY - Steering Wheel Swap: S2000, RSX, EP3 (with cruise control wiring!)

Nice write up!

Sure coulda used the tip about loosening the bolt but not taking it out for the steering wheel removal. They can be hard to get off the first time and can catch the srs reel cables.....

Repped!

FNCONE

Reaction score

Thanks for the list of dual airbags. I have an 01 and my CF4 steering wheel plug didn't fit. (I'm guessing single to dual?) I didn't want to change plugs on the air bag I always find it risky, but Ive seen a few write ups now might have to try. Nice CL seats by the way

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Nice write up! What about the Accord Euro-R Momo wheel. Few have it but maybe add it in where it belongs (single/dual stage)?

VancouverAccord

Reaction score

Nice write up!

Sure coulda used the tip about loosening the bolt but not taking it out for the steering wheel removal. They can be hard to get off the first time and can catch the srs reel cables.....

Repped!

Thanks man. I almost busted my cable reel the first time I removed my wheel. So I wanted to help others avoid this.

Great write up! :thumbsup:

Thanks, it's my first DIY.

Thanks for the list of dual airbags. I have an 01 and my CF4 steering wheel plug didn't fit. (I'm guessing single to dual?) I didn't want to change plugs on the air bag I always find it risky, but I've seen a few write ups now might have to try. Nice CL seats by the way

Good eye on the seats. The CF4 wheel must be single stage then. Just look at the number of wire on the back of the airbag. Single will have 2 wires and Dual will have 4 wires. When you get a chance to double check I will add it to the list. Swapping charges scares me as well but it has been done by others successfully before.

Nice write up! What about the Accord Euro-R Momo wheel. Few have it but maybe add it in where it belongs (single/dual stage)?

I wasn't sure if it were single or dual so I didn't add it to the list yet. My guess is that euro wheels follow the same trend as JDM wheels, being single stage. Once I confirm this I will add it to the list as well.

twofast4u

Reaction score

From what i've read (and heard form jdm shops) the euro-r one with the red H logo is single stage. But you can swap over the actual airbag.

Brad2274

Reaction score

nice writeup, post pics of your interior!
This also leads me to believe that DC5, EP3, and S2K all have interchangeable airbags, cruise switches and wheels, allowing for hybrid wheels. (i.e. S2k perforated wheel with EP3 airbag and RSX cruise switch)
yup they're all interchangeable! :thumbsup:
and yeah there's some jdm/euro momo wheels that are single stage, for the DC5 and accord

FNCONE

Reaction score

Its Single, sorry i took a while to check guys
Euro-R wheel can be added to the single list

Euro-RAirbagCompared.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Euro-RAirbag.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Back