Heating up when sitting in traffic or stopped

WOTaccord

Reaction score
my fan wasnt working so I tapped on it and now it works but its still heating up, It helps alittle when I turn the heat on full blast but the ac on doesnt make much of a difference. It heat up when stopped or in traffic for a long period of time. I was about to buy a radiator but I dont have any leaks anywhere. I am baffled. Could it be the waterpump? The heat gauge goes up and down also sometimes when going down the road. If its the water pump I am kinda scared cause I dont know how to do anything with timing. Any help would be great once again!

juv290

Reaction score
Well my fuses are all good whats left is the fan switch. So how would i check if that is working?

juv290

Reaction score
my fan wasnt working so I tapped on it and now it works but its still heating up, It helps alittle when I turn the heat on full blast but the ac on doesnt make much of a difference. It heat up when stopped or in traffic for a long period of time. I was about to buy a radiator but I dont have any leaks anywhere. I am baffled. Could it be the waterpump? The heat gauge goes up and down also sometimes when going down the road. If its the water pump I am kinda scared cause I dont know how to do anything with timing. Any help would be great once again!

Sorry for the thread jack just we r both experiencing the same problems

OldNo7_CG2

Reaction score
Try bleeding the system again you might have air pockets still

Miami_CG2

Reaction score
Your radiator might not be cooling good enough because it might be clogged up. Before u changed out the fluid did u noticed if the old fluid was real dirty and discolored? Radiators have real tiny passages where the coolant goes trough and if any bits of corrosion or sludge form up and go into it, it will clog it up and not cool the engine enough.

I had the same problem on a 98 civic I used to have and that was my answer.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Prestone has a radiator cleaner/flush .. sometimes it's unrecommended because it might remove some debris that has been lodged into the radiator and cause a leak =/ but if there's a leak then you might aswell switch radiators anyways :p

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Dude, before you go tearing into the engine and start replacing expensive parts just replace the fan switch and see if that fixes the issue. If the car only heats up when you're sitting still I can pretty much guarantee that is your problem.

WOTaccord

Reaction score
Your radiator might not be cooling good enough because it might be clogged up. Before u changed out the fluid did u noticed if the old fluid was real dirty and discolored? Radiators have real tiny passages where the coolant goes trough and if any bits of corrosion or sludge form up and go into it, it will clog it up and not cool the engine enough.

I had the same problem on a 98 civic I used to have and that was my answer.

This was the problem! Thanks!

Back