Heating up when sitting in traffic or stopped

WOTaccord

Reaction score
I just replaced my thermostat and fan switch, I did a full flush but I am not sure why but it heats up when stopped or in traffic. I was thinking of getting another radiator thinking it could be plugged or corroded but I am not sure. Could be the water pump and if so how are hard is it to change? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am baffled.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
I just replaced my thermostat and fan switch, I did a full flush but I am not sure why but it heats up when stopped or in traffic. I was thinking of getting another radiator thinking it could be plugged or corroded but I am not sure. Could be the water pump and if so how are hard is it to change? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am baffled.

If youre doing the water pump and havent done your timing and alternator belt, do those aswell while everything is off.

Check if the fan goes on, is your thermostat working correctly, and what type of thermostat did you end up buying?

WOTaccord

Reaction score
I bought a felpro thermostat,

i am considering starting with the radiator and going from there. thanks i will order the belts also while he does that for me. I am not doing the water pump myself ill have my mechanic do it.

Miami_CG2

Reaction score
The fans should come on automatically a couple minutes after the car has reached its normal temp or when the a/c is turned on.

Ocho

Reaction score
Mine was doing that too. Bought a blox 12 radiator fan for the driver side and never seen a prob with it last 3 weeks! :)

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Check the fuses for both fans .. mine were blown and i didnt know it and kept overheating in traffic or in drive throughs

juv290

Reaction score
Check the fuses for both fans .. mine were blown and i didnt know it and kept overheating in traffic or in drive throughs

Would they still be blown even if they come on when the car is off? Cuz im having the same problems but im going to check them either way

Chris Vu

Reaction score
No, if the fans come on, then you have a much worse issue.

juv290

Reaction score
What might it be? I have changed the thermostat and flushed the radiator and still overheats when im stopped for too long

Back