Aman's 2001 5MT

Aman

Reaction score
Well, I think my car is just interesting enough to have its own thread. I won't call it a build, since I really don't have an end goal or a particular list of things I want to do.

I'm going to try my best to put things in chronological order.

I bought the car in November of 2014. November 18th, to be exact. Got it registered and plated on the 19th:

^ First pic I ever took of it. It came with the factory fogs tinted yellow, Neuspeed Race springs and Koni Yellow shocks, and a custom catback. It came with winter tires on the OEM wheels.

The previous owner included a cold-air intake with the car. AEM tube and K&N filter.

I think I put that in around early-mid January. That's why the engine bay is so dirty. Roads are aggressively salted here. It still hasn't been cleaned. :Boo:

I was kind of disappointed driving around town after the install. Driving around town it made no difference. Bummer. Then the weekend after, I attacked a highway on-ramp and wow! :shakehead: The sound was completely different at high load/rpm. It got a nice deep growl, was much louder near redline. I was surprised to hear that coming from my car!

I blackhoused the headlights sometime in February. A simple enough job, though I suspect it was the first time the bumper had ever been removed. Mangled a lot of the tabs.

I think it works well on a black car with the yellow fogs. We got plenty of snow this year, and I have a nice, fat commute so it spent most of its time looking like this:

That was about it during the winter. Changed the oil a few times, nearly all the light bulbs on the passenger side for some reason, and a clutch slave cylinder that turned out to be a PITA for me.

Around mid-may, it was getting much too warm to be on winter tires, so I scored these:

They're GP Racing GR-4s, 17x7 + 42. Not the most flattering specs, but the fit my budget, fit my car, and even fit the set of tires I had from my old Jetta. They're Hankook V12 Evos. 225/45s.

With a set of good tires and suspension, it can grip well beyond my street comfort level. I want to attend a few track or autocross days to get a better feel for the car at and above its grip level. The only time I've broken traction is when hitting a bump around a hard corner.

Also put a CF hood on:

It's a Seibon piece, also included by the PO. It's a little finicky to own. When I first installed it, I adjusted the bump stops so the hood was flush with the fenders. But I got a lot of flutter at highway speeds, so I'm now in the process of experimenting to see how I can get decent fitment and minimal flutter. In some pics you can see how it's sitting high on the passenger side right now.

Anyway, that's my car. :wave: I've been on here for a few months now, but I guess this can be my formal introduction. :)

305S0L

Reaction score
Welcome! Car Looks great!

I too had a PITA moment installing my clutch master and slave clynders. You are not alone sir lol

Back