98-02 possible subframe recall due to a/c drain pipe

slowrider87

Reaction score
I would happily put my OEM shocks & springs back in long enough to take it in and get a new sub frame. They mentioned Ohio, i wonder if this is a problem more common in northern states that have the roads salted all winter long or if it has occured in southern states too.

doubleclutch

Reaction score
all this talk about the subframe made me want to check on mines status. my accord is from new york, and i live in central ohio. I got the car in January '12, and i treated in with rustoleum in March. this is now what it looks like as of yesterday. i sprayed it again with another coat and hopefully itll buy me some time
WP_20121123_006.jpg
[/IMG]

WilDFirE

Reaction score
1. Any update on this?
2. Can someone document the workaround (hose around the condenser drain) for this?

bigbee

Reaction score
Sure be nice if Honda would step up and fix this cause it seems like an epidemic problem w/ all gen 6. Mine is not quite as bad as some pics I've seen, but I think there is a new Rear Beam-Cross Beam in my near future. It's about $550 shipped from Majestic. I drenched the rusty area with POR-15 rust proofer in hopes of buying some time. Dang it! I just bought the car and it is mint other than this. I did put an extension hose to route the a/c condensation away from the area but sadly it's too late.

2001 EX 2.3L 5spd

WilDFirE

Reaction score
So I might as well provide an update as well. I've started down the process of documenting a case with Honda of America for tracking purposes. I also talked with a local stealership and they mentioned that the Honda Passport had a similar problem and the recommended fix was to spray with some heavy duty rust inhibitor/sealant (I dont recall the name). I'm only getting surface rust on my subframe at the moment, but I'd love to have everyone document (take pics) this so that we arent looking around for proof later after we've sold our cars.

Additionally, I'm calling around in advance to some body shops to price out the replacement part which is very labor intensive and thats *if* you can find the part at all. I'll provide more details as my findings move along.

Back