Aftermarket stereo resetting on startup

Jayson

Reaction score
I am having a strange issue with my aftermarket stereo, was hoping someone here could help me diagnose the problem.

I installed the stereo about a year or two ago (edit: stereo is a Kenwood DDX9702S), and I'm confident it is wired correctly because it used to work fine in the past. Recently I noticed an issue with my stereo going to the "Initial startup" each time I start my car, as if the battery had been disconnected. However, it is retaining it's memory, all my setting are saved. It simply just shows the "Initial startup" menu and after I press "OK" everything is normal again.

Recently my battery had been giving me trouble, and eventually seemed to die completely so I replaced it. My car was still having trouble starting after replacing the battery and I then realized it was the starter that seemed to be going out so I replaced that as well. Now my car seems to be working fine again and starts up every time no problem.

I figured the weird issues with my stereo were related to the battery/starter problems and assumed it would correct itself once they were replaced, but it is still going to the initial startup menu each time I start the car. I tried to research further, but everything I've read regarding this issue people suggest that the "constant 12v and ignition" wires are mixed up, but I am 100% sure that I have them wired properly.

I used my multi meter just to double check some things, and did notice that when testing the red "ignition" wire, the voltage will drop to 0 when starting the engine and then quickly return to the ~12V range. Is this normal? Could this possibly be affecting the stereo and causing this problem?

Last edited:

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
The model and make of the head unit you are using might also help some of the other people chime in on your thread.

dawg316

Reaction score
redwire turns the headunit on . the wire id focus on in the yellow wire on the radio side connector. that should have 12volts with the key off and key on

test that and get back to me

Jayson

Reaction score
redwire turns the headunit on . the wire id focus on in the yellow wire on the radio side connector. that should have 12volts with the key off and key on

test that and get back to me

I tested the yellow wire with a multimeter and it stays consistently in the ~12V range, fluctuates maybe 2Vs max up or down.

dawg316

Reaction score
I tested the yellow wire with a multimeter and it stays consistently in the ~12V range, fluctuates maybe 2Vs max up or down.

most likely an internal circuit inside the radio then.

can you substite a known working radio back in or even throw the oem one back in and check to see if the problem goes away

Back