Catlytic Converter

Muhammed Emin

Banned
Reaction score
I have check engine light on for 2 years because I need to change catlytic converter what will happen if I keep driving like this will it eventually ruin my engine? And I feel like I am getting bad mpg is it beacuse of this emissions problem? I have been hesitant to fix this because of the cost and people tell me it's not required because it will no way harm my car but only just release bad air quality.

Let's say I did fix my emissions and replaced the converter, what differences will I notice in my ride?

cg6THgen_iconz

Reaction score
i had the same issue, and yes it is possible that it can harm your engine, my catlytix convertor was bad an fried my spark plugs/wires my dizzy cap/rotor also and could have siezed my motor if i didnt catch it in time, so in my opinion if you cant pay the costly $300+ for a new one just eliminate it and go straight pipe and keep your 02 sensor running still as should with a cat, and yes it does effect your mpg cause i was getting around 10 mpg with a fried cat, and after i replaced everything it fried im getting around 30+ mpg on hwy and 20+ on streets.

agginline86

Reaction score
i had the same issue, and yes it is possible that it can harm your engine, my catlytix convertor was bad an fried my spark plugs/wires my dizzy cap/rotor also and could have siezed my motor if i didnt catch it in time

This is literally impossible....

Gman86

Reaction score
my catlytix convertor was bad an fried my spark plugs/wires my dizzy cap/rotor also and could have siezed my motor if i didnt catch it in time,

This is literally impossible....

Bwahahahahaha ahhhhh almost in tears. Funniest thing I've read on here yet. :fail:

To the OP gas mileage man is what you'll gain, very noticeable gains too....id almost bet too the EGR system will need a through cleaning as well.

To fix my cat issue I just ran a Megan Racing Test Pipe and used spark plug Defoulers to keep the CEL off bc the O2 sensor being exposed more than normal vs OE catalytic converter. Problem solved and my exhaust sounds a little deeper imo.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
the worst thing that can happen is a shower of sparks out of your exhaust. then you have a diy straight pipe with no effort. could also just be a bad o2 sensor as well. as for mpg, i've heard whenever the CEL is on, your mileage will get worse due to the computer adding a tiny bit more gas to be safe...that's what i've heard anyway.

Dimitar

Reaction score
As far as I know, only the first (Bank0) 02 sensor has to do with fuel consumption. The car uses it to determine the A/F ratio. The second one is there to see if the catalytic is functioning properly.

If you want a cheap and easy fix, get sparkplug nonfoulers (in Canada they have them in Car Quest for $9, but they usually need to be ordered in). They come in packs of 2, screw them together then drill through one with a 1/2inch drill. Slide and screw your 02 sensor in, then connect it to the catalytic. You won't have check engine light any more.

Back