DH`s 2000 coupe

1998accordV6

Reaction score
this has to be the best thread so far....i cant believe i just sat here and read 14 pages worth of comments lol

DH48

Reaction score
Going to wake this thread up again and give you guy´s a small update.
Passenger side mount has been remade too many times but now is finally done. It will be as a support like on the NSX. At first i wanted it to be more of main mount but will leave it to just hold the engine up. The stress will be on the front and rear mount.
P_20150223_145612.jpg

Primed and ready for paint. I added side guards just in the it does manage to snap the bolt so it will not slide off but even the guards are a bit overkill as the engine would have to first rip it self from the rear and front mounts to even move.

P_20150316_062259.jpg

P_20150316_062236.jpg

Also working on the rear mount. Just need to test fit part of the mock-up and can make it out of metal.

As there is literally no room at the rear of the engine i will have to attach the mount to the transmission using the transmission case bolts.
To give you a idea on how much room i have:
396864a4-c318-4cb7-ac94-0b5f29d6e2b8.jpg

So if i do not cut the mount i have about 3 inches to fit the 2.5" exhaust pipe or if i cut part of the mount (marked with nr.2 )off i will have 4 inches to spare but i will lose the option to attach the mount to both sides of the transmission case. The rear exhaust is going to have a really sharp bend to it .... about 120° or 60° degree angle. Depending on witch way you are looking at the bend.

I made a quick sketch of the mount or what it might look like.
P_20150223_212301.jpg

Finished with the alternator and will also be able to finish the AC tensioner pulley by the end of the month. Will be using a modified 96 civic AC pump tensoner Strange part is that the bolt holes on the mount mach the NSX.....only thing is that it is a mirror image of it so a bit welding is need to get it to work. Should get the AC pump by mid April and also fitted.

Alternator with custom tensioner looks like this:
P_20150221_150105.jpg

Had to grind a bit off of the alternator to work with the custom mount but it should be OK now. At least i am able to replace the belt and the belt does not scrape the mount.

I would have the drive shafts in the making at a machine shop but it turned out that the driver side axle i got had a different tripod and roller bearings that would not work on the inner end of the intermediate shaft. Also i was not able to find the passenger side drive shaft as it was sold out. Lucky for me 4h ago i got a answer from the UK NSX club that the Acura/Honda Legend has the same spline count as the NSX of 31. So i ordered a legend 3.2l passenger side drive shaft for 49 euro + 88 euro transport here. Should arrive by the end of the week from the US. After that i can cut the drive shaft to length and send half of the accords and half of the NSX drive shafts to get sleeved. ....Yes not the best option but the guy doing it has assured me that it will hold. He has done it to cars with more HP then the NSX so it should be ok. If not then at least it have a mock-up to send to the UK and have custom drive shafts made. The sleeves will cost 30 euro per drive shaft so 60 euro to get drives shafts that have NSX inner spline count and Accord outer spline count.

So if I do get a week of next week the plan is to finish the rear mount, finish the oil pan, get the drive shafts done and fitted, start welding the exhaust and find a shot that will make me a custom TB adapter so i can fit the Honda Legend´s TB.

The weather is starting to get warmer as well so am able to get the car outside wash the engine bay start thinking about painting and final fitting of the engine and other components.

Will update again next week or on the weekend. Not going to be to optimistic but might be able to start testing the electrical components by the end of April ....maybe even a first startup.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this build. I cannot even begin to imagine all the obstacles you have encountered while moving through this process, just reading all you're going through gives me a headache lol. So much custom fab work, I really admire your resolve, keep up the great work man!

When this car is finished, it will really deserve a feature somewhere, as it is the only C swap I know of in an Accord. Unless you don't want the general public to know what a gem you have.

DH48

Reaction score
Thx Red. It has been and still is a headache most of the times. Sometimes even so much that have thought about giving up but as soon as i get something done or fitted it is just is enough to give a boost of motivation to keep going. Also i know that once everything is in place, tested and the engine fires up for the first time in a long long time i know that i have something unique.

Well showing of the work and time that has gone into this project is not problem..... just do not need the attention from the local authority´s. As far as they need to be know it is a J30a1 with a manual trans swap that is legal.

DH48

Reaction score
Small update. The half shaft i ordered arrived and is in customs. Should clear it by tomorrow morning. Also found a stock NSX TB (non drive by wire) with the adapter. Just need to hope it is not gone as the price is OK. Not like the ones on ebay with a price tag of 1000 USD++

If lucky should be able to get it for under 150 USD. Only downside is that i will have to do some rewiring on the engine harness but thats OK.

Looking into the MR2 hydro-electric PS aswell. Most of the DIY only show how to make a pump that is off or on but on the MR it as a computer that runs it depending on the speed, steering wheel position etc. Thats what i am aiming for.

Varnell

Reaction score
The weather is starting to get warmer as well so am able to get the car outside wash the engine bay start thinking about painting and final fitting of the engine and other components.

Will update again next week or on the weekend. Not going to be to optimistic but might be able to start testing the electrical components by the end of April ....maybe even a first startup.

I first saw this thread almost two years ago and have been following it since. If you hadn't gone for this swap I probably would have bought the engine and given up by now. Before I knew anything about engine swaps I really wanted either the J35A8 or something out of an NSX. Just living that dream vicariously through this thread now. lol

DH48

Reaction score
Update again. Managed to cut the driveshafts to length. Will talk to the person helping me sleeve them tomorrow and might send them off also or on monday. Should have them back the latest on friday.

In about 9 h i should hear if i got the NSX TB.

Edit: Looks like i won the NSX TB. Should arrive somewere from 27.03 to 07.04.

So if anyone here plans to do a NSX swap then you can use the Acura Legend 91-95 axles. The inner ends are 1:1 with the NSX. Outer you will need to swap out for something that has a 30 spline hub.

P_20150321_075552_HDR.jpg

P_20150321_165834.jpg

P_20150321_165843.jpg

Last edited:

DH48

Reaction score
Update: The driveshaft sleeves are being made and should have them by the end of the week. They however will not weld them. As i will first have to test fit to see that it still is the right length and then will get a friend to weld the driveshaft with the sleeves.

Been working on the last mount and damn as usual i did not like how it looked so i started again. Just have to cut a few part for the drivers side of the mount and then can weld it. After that will be able to remove the engine and weld the mount point for the subframe.
P_20150324_171831.jpg

P_20150325_125045.jpg

P_20150325_143255.jpg

P_20150325_142952.jpg

The NSX TB is also on it way to me. The guy is sending it via air-mail so the ETA might be even sooner.

As most of the mounts are in place and the engine will not move I decided to do some test fitting. This engine is huuuuge. The room i have to spare up front:
P_20150325_144453.jpg

Not as bad from this angle just the corner:
P_20150325_144803.jpg

Did some work on the shift linkage and mount. Will have to redo the EP3 (type-r) mount so will not stick out as much as in the picture(The mount is lower then the levers at the moment)
P_20150323_145400.jpg

Does anyone here know if there is a place were i could order custom made **** cables ? At the moment i would have to combine two sets as i need to go around the engine to the shifter. The stock honda EP3 cables are just to short and i dont know that honda has something longer to offer.

Back