****ing tranny

Nismode

Reaction score
. It seems like my car is on its last legs now, and I've been trying to sell my camera to pay for whatever the repair is gonna cost me bc I need a car for work.

The tranny has been slipping for a while, but recently, the damn car has been limited to about 2.5k RPM in any forward gear, but the car won't move, almost like it's held by the e-brake. I would usually (before this weird problem) slip it into neutral, wait 1-2 seconds, put it into 1, and it would be able to go forward. Weird enough, when I applied the gas in N, the ****ing car moved forward (slowly, like I was in 2nd but much slower, and still not going over 2.5k even with the pedal to the floor).

Later that day the problem went away, and came back last night after about 15-20 min of "normal" driving/behavior. Except when I shifted it into N last night, the car jerked suddenly, and shuddered on idle. Noisy as fk. Removed the #13 fuse this morning to clear the CEL, shuddering lessened for a few minutes, but that 2.5k thing and driving in neutral still remained. Also, if I shift from P to N to "drive", the car will move backwards with the accelerator. I have to shift to D4, let off the brake and I hear something engage, then go to N to move forward.

98 F23 auto EX sedan, 153k, removed intake resonator.

001Stunna

Reaction score
How do you do that?

You cant. The tranny does NOT have an ECU on its own.

What cel is it throwing? If its throwing something for the 2nd and 3rd clutch pressure switch...you can try replacing them (100$ both) and re-check your luck.

I'm assuming you've been taking care of it and doing drain and fills once a year? and checked that the fluid level is at the correct level?

CreepyWilly

Reaction score
Nah it's not an ECU on it's own but still have its own ''module'' in the car ECU. Just try to have it reseted, it will cost you alot less than other things to try first. That fixed my tranny once when it would just never dropshift from 4 to 3, only 4 to 2 with ''D3''

Back